Poll: Which is your favorite fish and why?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Erynn

Ahhh weekends
Dec 4, 2002
Stoney Creek
Cories, gouramis, rainbow sharks I would have to say. I am on the verge of keeping some fancy goldfish and I'm sure they will be on the list as well!

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
I CAN'T BELIEVE NO ONE HAS MENTIONED GERMAN BLUE RAMS!

They've got color like no other!

Chalk me down for German Blue Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Bob McGee

Registered Member
Jan 25, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Visit site
Ditto on the German Blues. Without a doubt my favorite fish. Very colorful and fun to watch. Especially when the spar with each other. Nobody ever gets hurt, but it is fun to wacth their dorsal fins snap up and the pectorals go down and attack and retreat at each other.

Great stuff!

Bob

Pisces

Night Owl
Mar 4, 2002
Fayetteville, AR
Real Name
Lisa
Favorites that I've kept: N. Brichardi, Clown Loach, Angelfish, male Bettas, Madagascan Rainbow, Rainbow Shark and the Pictus Catfish.

Favorites I haven't kept yet are: Discus, Rams, Puffers, Congo Tetras and Emperor Tetras.

Stephen

There's always a bigger fish...
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
Tiger Shovelnose Catfish and Oscars.

I don't wanna pick one.

I also like loaches. Clowns and Khulis...

Fisher Price

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
Visit site
Red Belly Piranha. They change looks as they get older as well as personality. Mine is 11 years old and I will probably cry why he dies of old age because I grew up with him(or her). Second favorite is cory cats, they keep so busy and we take them for granted because they are so darn hardy and long lived asking very little to be content and happy.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Microgeophagus altospinosa and Julidochromis marlieri. Very fun smaller cichlids. I also like my Synodontis eupterus' alot. They're the asses of the aquarium world. I've never seen fish like this that would just go around picking fights with other fish much larger than themselves, and win!

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
A year ago, I would've answered an Oscar since that is what I had years ago.

But now, I will go with a Betta. I seem to have a huge success with them and suddenly have an office full of Bettas each in his own 2 gallon tank! There were some employees where I work who had bought them with the jar and plant and either got tired of them or couldn't keep them alive, so I took them all in and gave them better homes than those stupid little jars.

I have another 3 at home that I felt obligated to rescue from Walmart. I think one will make it for sure, but the other two are still iffy.

So BETTA is my answer! They are so beautiful, so graceful and full of personality!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Cichlid people often talk them down, but, for a 10g, the fish with the most personality would have to be a betta. I love spending time with my 10g in my dorm because "Mo" always comes to greet me, and sometimes to be "pet" like a cat (well, much less vigorously, of course).

I gotta respect my cleaner team, though, my four Cories are hard workers, and they even do the job of Plecos with much less poop. (Today, they started eating the algae from my plastic plants.) My Oto (I had three, but "Methuselah" is the only one who hasn't died in the four months I've had them.) is constantly doing the Plec thing, and I have yet to have an algae outbreak since he and his two "sibs" enterred my tank.

All in all, I'd have to say that these are my favorite fish, especially since this is my first tank in probably 15 years.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store