Popondetta-Blue Eye...ever see or hear of them ? Fantastic fish..take a look !

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ddayton21

I'm bored
Oct 25, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
ya same here. I love those Gertrudae but I'm under the impression they're extremely hard to come by. :sad:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
ddayton,

Dwarf Neon threw me for a loop, didn't realize that was another name for praecox. Heh, dunno why they call it a dwarf, except that he's small for a rainbow. Max size 2.5" from what I read. Still researching -- lemme see what I can come up with in that color type.

----------

Okay, thus far I've got:

Melanotaenia lacustris or Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish

Info:
http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/21803/20040913/members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Lacust.htm

For Sale At:
http://www.thatfishshop.com/moreinfomelanotaenialacustris.html

Max size seems to be 2.5"

I'll keep looking but for now i'll have to call it a night.

Roan

Last edited:

ddayton21

I'm bored
Oct 25, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
hey thanks a bunch roan! I really appreciate someone more knowledgeable than myself taking time to help out and research. If you do find anymore info make sure to let me know. I'll be waiting lol :thm:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Geesh...I saw some of those turquoise rainbows at PetCo of all places. They usually have some type of rainbow for sale there...the last I saw were the boesemanis, but I think the 3 they had were females...didn't have the bright blue coloring like the males have..they were still pretty though.

downright

AC Members
Oct 2, 2004
I've actually found P. signifer to be semi-aggressive -- mine actually chased around larger rainbows, rams, and large tetras, and shredded the fins of an angelfish.

www.azgardens.com sometimes has Pseudomugils in stock.

TEES_91

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
I have 4 of the Iriatherina werneri (Threadfin) in my 55 gal with 9 Cardinal Tetra's and a Moonlight Gourami (who is half grown who is laidback and could careless what else is in the tank) My LFS told me about the threadfin and ordered some for me to see. Very nice fish they school with the Cardinals.
I had never really noticed rainbows before this. The Blue-eye looks very nice and is colorful. Looking for idea's for my 29 gal..maybe I have found stocking idea's.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
downright said:
I've actually found P. signifer to be semi-aggressive -- mine actually chased around larger rainbows, rams, and large tetras, and shredded the fins of an angelfish.
I've been reading that some of them are semi-agressive, yes. Unfortunately they are not being marketed as such.

Anyone stocking on rainbows please keep in mind that some can be aggressive. Many of them are very new to the aquaria hobby and their behaviors in smaller environments has not been recorded.

There's a woman on the rainbow list who has been keeping rainbows for 10+ years and she says that the Asian lines of Boesemani (I have no idea what the local pet shops have) are less aggressive than hers. She had an 11 year old Boesemani named "Evil Male" who:

"Old Man [Evil Male] in his lifetime murdered about a score of his fellow rainbowfish, so on this subject I know of what I speak. Many of you on this list have heard me speak of him over the years, and many of you had a chance to see him in person. He was quite a looker. For the past 5 or 6 years he was not allowed to live with others of his kind. . ."

And his offspring:

"and at 3 inches long, Junior had already been relegated to this same fate. I have a daughter as well. Tho these are a VERY true-to-type line of Boeseman's, she will not be bred to her brother again (I do have a small group of wee ones from a prior breeding... in which he almost killed her BTW!). I have a nice mellow (well, comparatively) male for her -- maybe their babies will be better citizens..."

A note about Boesemani size, this is referring to Evil Male Junior:

"though he is still only half the size (currently about 3 inches). "

So her 11 year old Boesemani was close to 6" in size. So much for them growing to 3".

My own Boesemanis are a little over 2.5" and are coloring out nicely. They seem pretty mellow at this point, although when the males start flashig for the females it gets a little heated in there.

Cool! I'll have to check this out.

Roan

gabrielandco.

Look into my eyes...
Oct 31, 2005
Your book could be wrong. One of the main rainbow sites is also wrong about one fish Many of the rainbows are new and sometimes the information gets "mangled" in the translations.
this is VERY possible....my book is probably ten years old! i haven't had a need for any further research so i haven't kept up. i DO still hve the interest in these, however. so, i am glad you brought up this possibility. i tend to assume everyone who has written a book knows more than i do....and they still do. BUT, as you said, it doesn't mean it is the most correct OR RECENT information. it is still an informative book and i will retain it while supplementing it with current information.

on another note, i find the dwarf neon rainbows (for the lack of brain function regarding the scientic name) one of the easiest rainbows to keep. then again, ihave only had the threadfins, dn, and a similar blue eye to what is mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

ihave always heard that bosemanni's get to 6 inches, but i keep seeing profiles for 3". i am glad this was mentioned here!

what type of sustrates has anyone found that bring out the rainbows colors the best? i had a black substrate that didn't seem to make a difference. should i be thinking more along the lines of a background?

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
downright said:
I did check out that site and they had some Pseudomugil furcatus. Minimum order is $35.00 for live fish. This I really don't like:

"†Shipping Charges will be calculated separately and charged in a separate transaction at the time of shipping. Your total of $52.88 will be charged on Monday, and the shipping charges will be charged later that week, at the time of shipping."

So, in other words you have no idea how much they charge for shipping until AFTER you pay for the fish and your card has already been debited. No thanks.

I also wasn't impressed that they had the Boesemani listed with Thailand as its origins. Should read Indonesia, not Thailand.

Appears that they compare their prices with LiveAquaria's "single or paired" fish price. I did some cross checking on that. Live Aquaria does charge more for its fish, per fish, but they have quantity discounts. Minimum order there is $29.00 and overnight shipping to 20171 zip was $29.99.

Which reminds me, LiveAquaria has Boesemanis on sale for $8.99 each right now. Usual price is $14.99 per fish.

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store