Popondetta-Blue Eye...ever see or hear of them ? Fantastic fish..take a look !

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
reziztor said:
I second that. PLEASE people... Keep them in species only or with other small Rainbows. I had success with small Lampeyes. Wouldnt chance ANYTHING else.
Man, you have Aplocheilicthys normani? No fair! :)

Roan

trafty7

AC Members
Sep 18, 2005
alright...that sucks, but at least i didn't waste money on them! I just might have to get yet another tank! I know this is kind of off subject, but I don't really want to start a new thread for a quick questoin like this...but, would it even be ok to keep dwarf gouramis, blue rams, and guppys in the same tank? Thanks for any help, I'm still quite new to the aquarium business!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Roan Art said:
IMO, I would not keep them with any of those fish. Gouramis and rams can be very territorial. Gertrudae are VERY small, half the size of a full grown neon tetra, and could probably fit in a gourami/ram's mouth very easily.
Roan
They're THAT small eh ? Jeesh....perhaps one day....I'll move my rams out of the 20long planted and dedicate that tank to some gertrudes or blue eyes !! I bet that would be something to see !

How many of these would be able to go in a 20long...and are there any bottom dwelling fish that would work out ok with them...such as cories....just to keep the bottom tidy and sifted ?

Traft....I've had blue rams in with 2 neon dwarf gourami and they were fine. Right now I have a pair of german blues in a 20long with 3 female guppies..had to get the girls away from the boys and that was the only tank with room for them...they are doing just fine together.

Last edited:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Emg said:
They're THAT small eh ? Jeesh....perhaps one day....I'll move my rams out of the 20long planted and dedicate that tank to some gertrudes or blue eyes !! I bet that would be something to see !
Emg,
Yah, they are THAT small. I've six in my 10g and I'm going to buy six more for that tank. No more than that. Actually, I think four more would be perfect, but they're sold in lots of six. I have a 2.5 I could put a few in as well, so they won't be crowded.

I'll see if I can get a picture of them against something to give you an idea of just how small they really are. Unfortunately the Flourite I am using for that tank has crushed coral mixed in with it. Totally the wrong color to show them off and they are very hard to see.

They are NEVER still. They are like hummingbirds. Always moving, darting here and there. Flashing at another male. Chasing a female. Investigating the java moss.

Fish hummingbirds. That's what they really are.

How many of these would be able to go in a 20long...
A lot :)
I think you could get 20 in there, easy. Hard to say as I'm still getting used to the size of them and how active they are. They *are* very busy fish, so I wouldn't crowd them too much. Like regular rainbows, they swim a lot.

If you want one a little bigger, you could try furcatus, the Forktail Blue-Eye. They don't quite have as elaborate fin, but they are very pretty:

http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/21803/20040913/members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Furcatus.htm

They'll get about 2", as big as a neon tetra. Again, rainbowfish are VERY active so give them lots of room to swim. Don't stock as many of them as you would a neon.

and are there any bottom dwelling fish that would work out ok with them...such as cories....just to keep the bottom tidy and sifted ?
Well, I kinda think as reziztor does in that they really should be specie only, BUT you might try some panda cories. I've baby platys -- ¼" -- and the spotted cories are the only fish they don't swim away from.

Roan

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Thanks Roan....

If they are as pretty and active as all that, I don't think I would mind having them as the only fish in a 20long. The length of that tank should do them very well being such an active and small fish. I think I would try a few small cories in with them though...just to keep the bottom clean and tidy. Cories are really good at that! I don't think they would bother the rainbows...just don't know if the rainbows would be bothered by them ?!

I'd love to see some pics of your tank...if you can get them !!!

What should the ratio of males to females be for the blue eyes or gertrudes ?

Of course, this isn't going to happen for me anytime soon....lol.....just an idea to file away for the next opportunity in redoing one of my tanks !! :D

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Emg said:
If they are as pretty and active as all that, I don't think I would mind having them as the only fish in a 20long. The length of that tank should do them very well being such an active and small fish. I think I would try a few small cories in with them though...just to keep the bottom clean and tidy. Cories are really good at that! I don't think they would bother the rainbows...just don't know if the rainbows would be bothered by them ?!
Ah. No idea. I think it's one of those things you just have to try to find out.

I'd love to see some pics of your tank...if you can get them !!!
I'll try. Been so busy lately with getting other tanks set up I haven't even had time to think of photographing.

What should the ratio of males to females be for the blue eyes or gertrudes ?
Heh, this question always reminds me of that Jan & Dean song, "Surf City"

"Two girls for every boy!"

Heh.
Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store