Possible Tumor on Shubunkin!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
Our shubunkin looks like it has a tumor on her left side back!! What causes this?? Will it kill her?? Will it affect the other fish?? Is there anything to treat her with??

PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!! :confused::confused::confused: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

gustavo85

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Puerto Rico
I've had a few fish with tumors. Tumors are like cancer in people, won't harm other fish, but will most probably affect some main function of the fish (eating, swimming, weird behavior, etc.) and the fish would die. Every fish with tumor I've had has lasted from 2 weeks (in the worst cases) to around half a year (usually is closer to this number). But if you could post pics we could make sure...

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
here are a few pics... I know they are not the greatest. but lets just say the bump what not there before.

DSCF4284.JPG DSCF4289.JPG DSCF4299.JPG

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
She's not swimming erratically, haven't noticed any loss of color or appetite. We don't feed live foods, and haven't introduced any new fish in a long time. Do you really think it could be Neon Tetra Disease?

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
I think neon tetra disease is unlikely if you've had the fish more than a month or two. It does looks like it might be a tumor to me. If it continues to grow then it will may kill the fish. If it doesn't grow you'll just have a shub with a bump.

Other than the bump the fish looks healthy.

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
I think neon tetra disease is unlikely if you've had the fish more than a month or two. It does looks like it might be a tumor to me. If it continues to grow then it will may kill the fish. If it doesn't grow you'll just have a shub with a bump.

Other than the bump the fish looks healthy.
thank you V. I really hope it doesnt get any bigger. She swims fine and eats like a pig and even still plays with the other fish. just as she always has since we got her.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Tumors are common in all types of goldfish (for still unknown reasons) but as long as it doesn't grow, burst or cause unusual behavior, call her Lumpy and don't worry about it. :D Hopefully she will be fine.

It's a good sign that there's no redness or scale damage on the bump. Probably a small tumor. You could just say that she has a big brain and call her Smarty Pants.

Please excuse my corny jokes. :D

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
she is still doing great!! the bump has not gotten any bigger. still eating and looking very healthy!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store