Pregnant orange molly sick help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gypsy Danger

Registered Member
Aug 8, 2018
My pregnant molly is sick I think, my sister is fish sitting for me while I'm out of town. And she sent me a pic of my pregnant molly. She is norally bright orange. But she has over the past 3 days developed what looks like hard water stains on her back and around her mouth. I can't get the parameters until tomorrow. She is acting normal and doesn't seem distressed. Eating, swimming ok. Not rubbing against the tank or decor. She is breathing a bit heavy but that might be the fry's may be close to being born she is looking rather boxy. I looked up fish illnesses but none seem to look like her.
Temp is 79 /80 I do have a heater but it has been a constant 79/80 past 2 mo with out it on. It's been extremelyhot summer and I don't have central air so it's hot in the house 24/7
29 gallons, tank is not in the sun at all, 2 aqua clear 50 filters, and a 50 g bubbler, apI flakes 2 to 3x day, and shrimp sinking pellets, occasion veggies blanched, last water change my sister did sunday, has been set up since may, freshwater no salt,
Tank mates: 2 platys, 3 eel loachs, total of 4 mollies one was added a wk ago, and a clown pleco who is 1.5 inches but will be going to a separate 50 gallon this wk
Sister added java moss today for the fry when they hatch
Help pls!

20180808_215739.jpg

20180808_215735.jpg

20180808_215734.jpg

Last edited:

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
She does not look sick, but I do not have any "before" pictures to compare with.

Gypsy Danger

Registered Member
Aug 8, 2018
She was a healthy shiny orange, but now there is a film that looks just like hard water and my plecos mouth has a thin rim of it as well. But he is acting normal. It literally looks like lime scale /hard water like you get on your faucets. Could it really be that? Or...? I'm pretty new to fish so I'm kinda worried.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Fish does not get "Hard Water Scales". Could it be ICH?

Gypsy Danger

Registered Member
Aug 8, 2018
I didn't think they could, not ick, it's a film but not fuzzy and not like salt grains. And I can't find pics of anything that looks like it online.

20180808_234324_001.jpg

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Could be just me, but I cannot see anything wrong. What are your water parameters?
The temp is OK.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I don't see it either. As long as they are acting and eating normally, there is no reason for concern yet.
I do see a sea shell which can alter water chemistry and this is not recommended certainly not for soft water fish like plecos. There are a lot of plastic plants but the tank seems to be reasonably lit, it would be better getting some easy low light plants, that will be beneficial.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store