Problems with shipping fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Still haven't gotten my order. 10degF in lovely Buffalo this AM. Pretty much expecting DOA at this point which is heartbreaking to me.

Per FedEx tracking, the package has been somewhere in Pennsylvania for the past couple days.

Shipping is just so hit/miss today. My first mail order fishes made it in under 24hrs. This one is going on a week.

Reactions: Sprinkle

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Still haven't gotten my order. 10degF in lovely Buffalo this AM. Pretty much expecting DOA at this point which is heartbreaking to me.

Per FedEx tracking, the package has been somewhere in Pennsylvania for the past couple days.

Shipping is just so hit/miss today. My first mail order fishes made it in under 24hrs. This one is going on a week.
Ya they’re probably gonna be DOA, just have that camera and knife ready for when they get there.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020

Mind if I ask where you ordered from, I do almost all my fish buying online and know some pretty good places. It seems fedex is the worst delivery service, UPS and USPS overnight are pretty good.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Here is what I can tell folks. We are in very unusual times. The virus has affected a lot of things. One of the biggest changes is the speed of deliveries. With so many shopping at home, with the delivery of vaccines and then with the effect of holiday shopping and returns, shipping speed has been slowed.

One thing to bear in mind is that fish shippers will not insure them against lost in transit for any reason. What this means is that if a driver with your box of fish takes it out of the truck and sets in on the ground so they can take out another package they need to deliver and when the drive returns forgets about your box and backs over it, too bad. Live fish are not insurable nor guaranteed to arrive alive.

While I now longer ship for the most part, when I did I offered the best guarantee inn the business and one which nobody else does (to the best of my knowledge). I not only guaranteed your fish would arrive alive and healthy, but I also gave a satisfaction guarantee. If you were not satisfied with the fish you received for any reason what-so-ever, you could ship them back to me. As long as they came back in good condition I would refund 100% of your purchase prices including shipping and I would also pay for the cost to send them back. Nobody ever sent back fish. I did have an infrewuent DOA and I always offered the buy the option of a replacement or a refund, their choice.

One reason I did this was to eliminate the hours of work it took to catch and then to photograph the exact fish you would receive. Additionally, I had to segregate these fish until I received payment and could ship them out. Because the least expensive fish I sold ran at about $50 each and many were in the multiple $100 range, I was not sending out tons of boxes.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Here is what I can tell folks. We are in very unusual times. The virus has affected a lot of things. One of the biggest changes is the speed of deliveries. With so many shopping at home, with the delivery of vaccines and then with the effect of holiday shopping and returns, shipping speed has been slowed.

One thing to bear in mind is that fish shippers will not insure them against lost in transit for any reason. What this means is that if a driver with your box of fish takes it out of the truck and sets in on the ground so they can take out another package they need to deliver and when the drive returns forgets about your box and backs over it, too bad. Live fish are not insurable nor guaranteed to arrive alive.

While I now longer ship for the most part, when I did I offered the best guarantee inn the business and one which nobody else does (to the best of my knowledge). I not only guaranteed your fish would arrive alive and healthy, but I also gave a satisfaction guarantee. If you were not satisfied with the fish you received for any reason what-so-ever, you could ship them back to me. As long as they came back in good condition I would refund 100% of your purchase prices including shipping and I would also pay for the cost to send them back. Nobody ever sent back fish. I did have an infrewuent DOA and I always offered the buy the option of a replacement or a refund, their choice.

One reason I did this was to eliminate the hours of work it took to catch and then to photograph the exact fish you would receive. Additionally, I had to segregate these fish until I received payment and could ship them out. Because the least expensive fish I sold ran at about $50 each and many were in the multiple $100 range, I was not sending out tons of boxes.
One thing I’ve noticed with Covid is most of the online sources I’ve always used had a 2 day priority mail option, but most of them now say due to delays they’re either only shipping priority on Mondays n Tuesdays or they stopped using priority and are strictly only shipping overnight

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan

I have to agree with FishAddict, unfortunately. Probably going to be DOA. That sucks.

I've always used overnight. I live in a rural area and I've never thought about this before, but both FedEx and UPS will guarantee next day delivery if I use overnight, but won't guarantee second or third day arrival or arrival in 1-3 business days or whatever for other shipping options. The first time a place told me that I thought they were messing with me, but I called UPS and they confirmed they'd guarantee overnight delivery but not specified arrival for any other options. Since then I've always gone overnight and never thought twice about it. Just seems kind of backwards to me, now that I actually think about it.

WYite

Reactions: FishAddict74

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I appreciate the input from everyone.

This has been a learning experience for me for sure.

I get all the covid related shipping issues. Total lack of consistently.

Due to the speed of the first order I got from this seller, I assumed it was next day delivery given I got it so quick. It basically went from orlando to Buffalo to my doorstep. You have to see the tracking for this current package. From the seller to Tampa where the package sat for 30hrs. Then to NC, PA and now it's in syracuse NY.

I will make sure to overnight this type of thing from now on.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
They finally arrived. Frozen solid..

Seller is overnighting me another order.

• Sad
Reactions: dudley

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
They finally arrived. Frozen solid..

Seller is overnighting me another order.
Fishcicles! Sorry couldn't resist. I'm one of those people who believes a little humor is sometimes a good thing in bad situations. ;)

Seriously, though, this sucks. Especially for the fish. Maybe it's a little easier on you since you expected it and it wasn't six surprise DOAs on a next day order. At least the seller was understanding enough to send a replacement order. If everything goes well with this shipment, I wouldn't flag them as someone I'll never order from again. Sometimes things just go wrong and nobody has any means to prevent them from doing so.

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store