Rainbow Cichlid

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I should have some of these on there way here next week. Just wondering what you regularly feed them. I've read that they need a high veggie content and I have a difficult time finding good foods like that. All of my cichlid foods are protein based.

My secs will pick at zucchini, do you think rainbows would do the same?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I feed mine live blackworms, frozen bloodworms, mysis, earthworm flake and a high protein pellet from Ken's they occasionally they will get spirulina flake.. Ken's is where i get my foods from..

HybridHerp

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
New York (Long Island)
Hey, how do you sex these? I either have a pair or two males.

Really a great cichlids, especially because you can keep them in a super epic high tech tank as well.

Only plant mine didn't work with was wisteria and maybe p. erectus, still unsure if it wasn't doing well due to the rainbows. But other stems and lace plant and fancy things like that do perfectly fine, it's great.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Mine are clearly a size difference where my male is a lot bigger than my female, but if need be you can vent check them with a magnifying glass.. Some go by dorsal fins where if the dorsal is longer and pointed its a male and if it is more rounded it is a female.. I agree these are great cichlids and are fun to watch..

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I hope you don't mind all of the questions. I am wondering how big they will be when they start wanting to pair off. My seller sent me 9 for the price of 6. I am going to put some of the larger ones into a 29g soon and keep the smaller in the 20g. There is one at 2" and 3 more at 1.5". Do I have awhile to go yet? My guess is they might not pair until 3".

I apologize for my rambling!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I wouldn't apologize Taysius (Jennifer). I know Mike and he doesn't mind. You can't learn if you don't ask for help or info or advice. Just to help you out though most of the larger cichlids start paring off around the 3-5" range. So I would think that you do got a bit of ways to go before yours pair off. Be patient cause they will be that size faster then you think.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I agree with Gabe, when they start to pair off you will notice the others being pushed to the top or in a corner just be prepared to remove the others if kept in a small tank. I had 6 of them in a 120gal a couple of years ago and all were fine.. But yes you can place them in their own tanks depending on size but i would put them in the 29gal and raise them together..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store