Read This Post Before Getting Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

i_love_guppies

Aquarium Newcomer
Jan 14, 2008
Boston, MA
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to fish keeping and have found the in the information on this site invaluble. I bought my first tank last month 3 days before buying my first fish, and it's now almost completely cycled. I wish i could say I had no fish deaths during this, but i did lose 2 of the 3 bloodfin tetras that i got to use as hardy fish after doing some research as to their ability, obviously my research wasnt quite good enough and this forum and posting are helping alot. Recently purchased my 2nd tank and had no deaths this year yet, fingers crossed.

Doing daily inspections of fish/tank conditions and regular 5-1 testkit readings, so far so good, all i had space for was small 10 gallon and 5.5 gallon tanks so dont expect to have a lot of fish but enjoying it so far, weekly water changes, more when ammonia was high, maybe larger tanks would have been easier but this is still fun!

Andy

CHRISTINE BAIRD

Christine
Mar 7, 2008
Midlands, UK
I am new to fish keeping and must say that I became extremely distressed when my fish died, through my ignorance but also from the bad practise of that particular fish store I went to at the beginning. It was evident that they were out to sell fish no matter what. I have a 10g biotube which they knew about and sold me two clown loach which I believe grow to quite a size, they were also very neurotic, swam round the tank twice, rolled over and died. I have learnt alot through this site and am grateful. My main point is are there any governing bodies to prevent miss management by fish stores, I am in the UK and suppose I could report bad practise to our RSPCA. What about over in US, do you have any authorities that you could repot to. If so then possibly they are not being reported to enough..

purpleangel

LOVES PURPLE
Jun 18, 2008
OHIO
I completely agree with the main point. I constantly see this situation on many forums where people buy fish knowing full well it will get too big with the 100% intention of just swapping it for a smaller one when it does.

It also should be noted that the comment of "My fish looks completely healthy" is irrelivent. There are situations such as stunting where you can't physically "see" the problems it's causing. Also there is a fact that unless you put the same fish side by side, one in correct conditions and one not, you really won't be able to recognize behavioral issues. Unless you have previous experience with that fish being kept properly and you know how they are supposed to act.

I agree in small portion about the emotional attachment to fish. However, this is probably due to the amount of people keeping fish improperly. When fish are kept in proper conditions I feel they are much more apt to show personality. My fish will swim towards the glass and show off when I'm in front of the tank watching them. My bettas will swim right into my hand when I'm in the tank. I could literally just scoop them out with my hand. You can teach them to feed out of your hand. They have just as much personality as many other pets when kept in proper conditions.

I also think research is a must at all times. But you only know that AFTER you've screwed up so many times that you go looking for reasons why. I do have to place a decent amount of blame on the pet stores. Even for people willing to learn. I tried a couple years ago to get into fishkeeping. Went to several stores before buying anything. Asked many questions to various workers through various stores. Got the same BS answers from all of them, was never told jack about cycling or anything like that. I'm sitting there thinking I've done research, asked around multiple places, and because they want to sell me fish they all either lie or have no clue what they are talking about. So I got a tank full of fish that died and it discouraged me from getting into the hobby until about 6 months ago. I finally thought I would search the internet since I never really was able to keep fish alive previously. My eyes were opened no doubt. NONE of this information was provided ever by an employee. Even when they partially know what they are talking about they only know half the answer. It's crazy.

Sorry for the long post. Some venting, some reinforcement of the major issues in the fishkeeping industry.

That's my 2c,
Curtis
Amen. You said it all.

purpleangel

LOVES PURPLE
Jun 18, 2008
OHIO
Amen

You said everything I've been thru. Thank-you

Still learning and willing to listen to these experiened folks on this site.

Thanks for ALL the help I have received from everyone. I really appreciate all of you.

kalee

Registered Member
Aug 10, 2008
i wish i would have found this website before i bought my first tank and fish.
fortunately, i know better now.
our LFS led me in a horribly wrong direction.
never again.
i will never, ever purchase another fish without researching first.
thank you for posting this.

DKMOM222

AC Members
Oct 12, 2008
AMEN! My family always wants something 'neat', but I have gotten them to understand that what's 'neat' is also mean to other fish in the tank or the new one.
I think fish and birds are the most underpoliced abused animals. Dogs and cats, and farm animals are seriously policed around the country.

foolishfish

Registered Fish Offender
Dec 10, 2008
Where the wild things are
New to this site. Kept fish when I was much younger and never really figured out what I was doing (no internet back then). Eventually married w/ children who won a few goldfish at a carny and of course we became fish keepers. These guys eventually led to our first of many ponds and the tanks being shut down.

Fast forward years, we now have five ponds. One had a growing leak, one developed a near catastrophic leak and my neighbor's yard grading almost destroyed the largest w/ run-off. Winter came and I got sick before the new mega pond could completed so we ended up having to find a way to move and keep a large number of koi, gold fish, cats and plecos on the short.

Scouring yard sales, Craigs List, classifieds and divorce sales brought us some incredible bargains, and contact with some amazingly brazen dolts.

The divorce sales were the best bargains, and usually worst fish abusers. Seems that childless couples who fall out of love now use the dog or the fish as a way of trying to hurt the one that they now hate. I learned very quickly that "free" tank also usually meant rehoming fish that were quite ill and / or distressed. I posted elsewhere in these forums about the first case and someone asked for pics. Probably the last thing on my mind at the time...suffice to say that we have rescued fish that were literally covered with ick and floating in a viscous goo that used to be principally H2O.

The problem as I write is that we've now accumulated so many tanks, at a very good price mind you, that I'm quickly running out of electric. Today is run new circuits day 'cuz 2 x 15 amps aint gettin' it no more.

We still haven't spread our original fish out enough to be really comfy 'cuz we keep getting tanks from people that were already over crowded...and sick. Fortunately I haven't lost one yet. I just can't convey how distressing it is to confront the ignorance and stupity that seems so common place.

Just yesterday, while picking up some meds and vitamins for our hospital tanks, I waited while a lfs employee was drug from tank to tank by a fellow from Nigeria who was so enamored of the hobby thathe wanted one of everything. When I asked how many tanks he was stocking his son replied "just the one...a new ten". He already had a hand basket filled with 1/2 gallon bags of specimens...and was getting more!

I won't be back since the same store was selling several varieties of Apple snails that they couldn't I.D. and I later discovered were not likely to even be legal. Takes all kinds. :mad:

SunsetPisces

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
Kane County, IL
Excellent points. I suspect some people do not have the same respect for creatures they also EAT. I have heard people talk about cats as if they were items for entertainment, and that is just plain cruel. I was raised to respect all life and the earth we live on.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store