Recommended brands for tank equipment? Plus stocking advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SomeBirdy

Registered Member
Jun 6, 2017
Relatively soon i'm going to be getting my first tank, a 30 gallon planted freshwater tank. I've read around and there seems to be many options for the kinds of filters and heaters out there but i'm always wary about whether i can trust that brand before spending a lot of money on things like it, or if there are cheaper and better options out there.

I would also like help picking out fish for this aquarium, i know for sure i want at least 2 pearl gouramis, around 6 pearl danios, a kuhli loach or two, cleaner shrimp and snails. What other fish and how many would you recommend i go with that would do well with these?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Do you intend to have injected CO2? If so, I always suggest using a canister filter (I prefer them no matter what actually but particularly in this situation). As far as brands go though I have not bought a new filter in so long I can not suggest a good current brand. My fav was rena filstar but they are owned by a different company now and I hear they aren't quite as good as they used to be. If I were to buy one though I'd like to try a SunSun.

Heaters is a good place to not cheap out. Even the best heaters don't last forever either and will need to be replaced after a few years. But it is best to get the best you can afford to avoid the issues like "cooking" your tank and shorting out. Companies with lifetime warranties is always good to look for, like Visi-therm and Aqueon.

Not sure if 2 gouramis will work, not familiar with them but I know khuli loaches will want to be a group of 6 or more. Amano and red cherry shrimp are good "cleaner" choices, cherries might be too small for the gourami though (?). Nerite snails are awesome algae eaters and come in a variety or colors.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I too like canister filters, But depending on your plants (CO2, or not) an Aquaclear filter maybe just fine.
Heater, I like Ebojagers, the only ones I use.
A 30 gal is a little tight for Pearl Gouramis, and 2 is even tighter. It is possible for them, but not the best size. PS-Do not get 2 males.
I never like to put shrimp in with fish, they will eventually get eaten. Just a matter of time.
You may just enough room for one more school of fishes-- How about galaxy rasboras?

SomeBirdy

Registered Member
Jun 6, 2017
Do you intend to have injected CO2? If so, I always suggest using a canister filter (I prefer them no matter what actually but particularly in this situation). As far as brands go though I have not bought a new filter in so long I can not suggest a good current brand. My fav was rena filstar but they are owned by a different company now and I hear they aren't quite as good as they used to be. If I were to buy one though I'd like to try a SunSun.

Heaters is a good place to not cheap out. Even the best heaters don't last forever either and will need to be replaced after a few years. But it is best to get the best you can afford to avoid the issues like "cooking" your tank and shorting out. Companies with lifetime warranties is always good to look for, like Visi-therm and Aqueon.

Not sure if 2 gouramis will work, not familiar with them but I know khuli loaches will want to be a group of 6 or more. Amano and red cherry shrimp are good "cleaner" choices, cherries might be too small for the gourami though (?). Nerite snails are awesome algae eaters and come in a variety or colors.
I too like canister filters, But depending on your plants (CO2, or not) an Aquaclear filter maybe just fine.
Heater, I like Ebojagers, the only ones I use.
A 30 gal is a little tight for Pearl Gouramis, and 2 is even tighter. It is possible for them, but not the best size. PS-Do not get 2 males.
I never like to put shrimp in with fish, they will eventually get eaten. Just a matter of time.
You may just enough room for one more school of fishes-- How about galaxy rasboras?
Thanks for the tips! The ebojager heaters look great, i'll definitely try them out. As for filters, i hear mixed things about the sunsun, though i do like how much cheaper it is compared to other brands. Might have to do more looking around before settling on one but i do want a canister in the end.

What if i went with a 45 gallon tank instead, would that be better for 2 gouramis? or should i just stick with one? Also when i search up galaxy rasboras the results i get look just like the celestial pearl danios, is that right? Either way i really like them and i think i will go with those rasboras and switch out the pearl danios with fire rings.
Do kuhli loaches also fulfill the clean up role like shrimps do? If they do i won't need the shrimp, don't want to risk them just being eaten. And how many of those snails would you recommend?

The final numbers look like it might be something like 1 or 2 pearl gouramis (probably 1), 6 fire ring danios, 8 galaxy rasboras, 5 kuhli loaches, and whatever number of those nerite snails that you suggest would be good. Does that all sound good for a 45 gal?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO, the stock and numbers look OK to me

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store