Setting up a Small Tank with Cichlids - 29g - Looking for Advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AcydFlames

Ideas Guy... Sometimes
Sep 23, 2008
Does it have to be cichlids? If you're looking for personality, there are other fish that I think are better suited with the tank size. You could get a colony of dwarf pufferfish or a couple of dwarf gourami. A pair of blue rams are nice also. Darios are fun to watch too but they're tiny.

Whatever you decide, make sure your cichlids are plant safe. Many will either eat plants or uproot them because they like to move stuff around. Also, most cichlids will get territorial and aggresive when they mature, even the "peaceful" ones.
Yes and no. You have to agree that cichlids do stand on their own with their personalities, and there's not too many species like them. That's not to say that they're the most interesting fish out there, but we have chosen them for their interesting behaviors. And in the end, it's still what she likes:duh:, so what are you gonna do?

Fish will not find food every day. It doesn't just fall from the heavens like in aquariums :rolleyes:

For this tank it does really depend if you want to go african or SA/CA. With the first I would suggest neolamprologus multifasciatus with possibly a pair of julidochromis. For the latter, you could do a SA community based around rams or apistos. Planted preferably.

I personally believe rams get a bad rap. If you find a reputable source, such as a local breeder, you are set.
I'm really open to any regions' cichlids. If there are really that many options for a small tank full of color, maybe I'm just missing them. That's what I'm hoping at least.

And I haven't looked specifically for a Ram breeder locally, but I suppose I could ask around. I figured this weekend I would hit one LFS that I know has some unusual/rare types, and has been know to be able to get thinks in on special order. Just to see what some of my options are. Like I said though, I'm not opposed to internet orders, or is that not a good way to get your Rams?

If you like rams, try Bolivian Rams. They are much hardier than the Blue Rams and Rams like planted tanks. An angelfish, some bleeding heart tetra (red), or congo tetra (nice coloring), a school of corys (there are green, albino, orange, lots of colors). That would be a pretty nice tank, active too.
That's not a bad idea, that actually sounds like a nice setup. I think I've read that Aspistos have been known to attack corys? I could be wrong, but if that's the case, are Rams less aggressive towards them?

how about 3 or 4 rams
What ratio of male to female? It's my undersatnding that cichlids don't do so hot in a single sex tank, but again, correct me if I'm wrong.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Bolivian Rams do alot of posturing when they are breeding, but are community tank safe. They aren't equipped with big enough mouths to do any real damage. They pair for life usually, but just because you have a male and a female doesn't mean they will like each other. The rule of thumb is to get 4 - 6 rams and let them decide. If the tank is planted, you should be able to keep 4 rams easily. Providing you don't have all female or all male, two of them should pair up and give you eggs.

AcydFlames

Ideas Guy... Sometimes
Sep 23, 2008
Okay, so Bolivian Rams (and I suppose to a lesser extent, Blue Rams) seem like a nice possibility.

What other options do I have? Are there any vibrant yellow fish that would fit? (Not to mix up with anyone else, but on their own). What about Electric Yellows? I know they get larger, but I've read that they range anywhere from 3"-5". It's pushing it, I know. I only ask because the EYs at the LFS always are almost always in stock, and you can get some that are literally under 1", and with a 10 year lifespan, I think they might stay below 3"-4" for quite a long time, no?

Last edited:

AcydFlames

Ideas Guy... Sometimes
Sep 23, 2008
Or hey, one more thought. It looks like the female cockatoo cichlids are a nice yellow color. Are they always the bright yellow, or is that a "time of the month" kind of thing?

AcydFlames

Ideas Guy... Sometimes
Sep 23, 2008
Bump for exposure :)

What about these guys for a splash of yellow? A few Leleupi: http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+831+1837&pcatid=1837

The ones at the store definately looked a lot more yellow then orange, but I don't know if there are Yellow Leleupi as well (I figure probably, and LiveAquaria only list Orange ones right now). Anyone have any experience with them? Would they be managable in a 29g?

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
There are indeed yellow leilupi, and the tangerine ones you've seen already. They're a lovely little fish.

Best way to keep them might be to start with 4 and get a pair. You will have to remove the spares then though as the pair will get very aggro. I think you could then have a compressiceps in there with them, or a calvus (comps better - grow slower)...and that would be imo a pretty nifty little tang tank with a ton of cichlid personality....you'd probably see breeding with the leilupi....some rocks and a bit of greenery...heck i might do it meself.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
hey coler is so right i have a fivesome of yellow lelupi in my 120gal they are great and were local bred in my area i lost my firecracker orange lelupi due to a power outage for a week but my yellows made it, in that 29gal i would do what coler said the lelupi's, calvus and or a compressicep would be nice that would be a sweet setup fo sure..

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
in looking around a bit it seems like some people have done saulosi in a tank that size, though it seems a bit small to me. Personally, I think the rams would be awesome. My bleeding hearts were almost colourless when tiny, but have really coloured up a lot. That and remember that a potentially subtly coloured fish when in the store while stressed out and with flourescent substrate may look quite a lot better after a few days in your tank. Here's a couple of pics of my 'boring' fish :)

IMG_0425.JPG IMG_0431.JPG IMG_0433.JPG IMG_0438.JPG

AcydFlames

Ideas Guy... Sometimes
Sep 23, 2008
There are indeed yellow leilupi, and the tangerine ones you've seen already. They're a lovely little fish.

Best way to keep them might be to start with 4 and get a pair. You will have to remove the spares then though as the pair will get very aggro. I think you could then have a compressiceps in there with them, or a calvus (comps better - grow slower)...and that would be imo a pretty nifty little tang tank with a ton of cichlid personality....you'd probably see breeding with the leilupi....some rocks and a bit of greenery...heck i might do it meself.
Thanks for the info. She doesn't seem to be digging the Comps, at least based off of internet photos. Maybe she might change her mind if she saw some of them in real life :), I don't know.

And here's another noob question, I understand wht you'd take away the left over 2 yellows, becuase of the agression, but then why is it cool if you added the comp? I've read that it can be a color thing, as in the aggressors will be more aggressive towards those that are the same color as them. Is that why a comp would work? It doesn't look like he'd be a bigger badder fish or anything obvious like that.

in looking around a bit it seems like some people have done saulosi in a tank that size, though it seems a bit small to me.
I love the coloring on these guys! Looks like about a 4" adult size? I've never come across them before. This is the kind of surprise I was hoping to get out of all of this! Thanks!

Can anyone offer any info on these guys? Or point me towards some?

Here's a couple of pics of my 'boring' fish :)
Nice! I almost feel the other way sometimes. You see the nice bright colors in the store, and you get them home only to see a more bland look. Your's definitely look better than the one's I've seen recently in the store though!

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
I ordered my africans from spencer jack at http://cichlaholic.com/lists.html . I had a pretty good experience overall. You could certainly email him with questions(I did alot as my africans are the first I've had) I know he currently has saulosis on his list. He's also got a selection of south africans, usually including some interesting oddball ones. I don't remember if rams are on this month's list, but it wouldn't surprise me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store