Setting up a Small Tank with Cichlids - 29g - Looking for Advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
And here's another noob question, I understand wht you'd take away the left over 2 yellows, becuase of the agression, but then why is it cool if you added the comp? I've read that it can be a color thing, as in the aggressors will be more aggressive towards those that are the same color as them. Is that why a comp would work? It doesn't look like he'd be a bigger badder fish or anything obvious like that.
Very good question - and you are basically right.

Firstly you have color as an issue - in africans it will almost always be higher between conspecifics (fish that look like one another) of the same gender especially males, when the fish are sexually mature - shown by pair forming in leilupi.

Secondly, the leilupi do occupy a little bit different zone in the tank, being largely closer to the bottom. The Comp will be happy to bumble around all over, although like all cichlids tending towards the bottom third.

Thirdly, the leilupi will probably chase at the Comp if spawning/fry but the Comp should be big enough not to get too stressed out by this and the leilupi not so aggro that the chasing is persistent or fatal (the size diff helps here too).

Bear in mind stocking cichlids is always a bit hit and miss and a lot comes down to individual personality (partly why they are such great fish). It hels to have a plan B (rehome, return to LFS, new tank) for a fish that is not working out.

AcydFlames

Ideas Guy... Sometimes
Sep 23, 2008
Just to clarify here, were we talking about [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Altolamprologus Compressiceps? I seem to find a few different fish by similar names, including [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Dimidiochromis and [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Crenicichla Compressiceps
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
i was talking about altolamprologus compressiceps and i am pretty sure so was coler the alto's are tanganyika and the dimidochromis are malawi and the cren's are south american good luck.

AcydFlames

Ideas Guy... Sometimes
Sep 23, 2008
i was talking about altolamprologus compressiceps and i am pretty sure so was coler the alto's are tanganyika and the dimidochromis are malawi and the cren's are south american good luck.
Cool, that's what I figured, but I had to double check.

Yes indeed I was - apologies for not being clear.
No problem.

On the filp side of the agression issue, the Comp won't be too agressive towards the Leleupi? It looks like they're a pretty agressive fish on their own. Sounds like I wouldn't have much of a chance of any fry making it very long with him around.

Here's another stocking basic question. I've read that it is good if you can place all of your cichlids in the tank at the same time, so that they all start "fresh" so to speak; so that no one has territory established yet. How true is that?

And if I were to place them in at seperate times, which one should go first? Or last? Also, on a general scale, I've read that it would be better to get the other non-cichlid fish in the tank first, and add the cichlids to them, for the same reason, the cichlid won't have established turf. Again, is this really a big issue?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
in my opinion i would say yes it could pose a threat what i would do is like you suggested on the non africans first than add the cichlids last and if you cant add them all at the same, i would leave the rocks in an unsightly manner so when your done adding fish you can rearrange the rock work to your liking and this will disturb the balance of territory and they will all have to re-establish zones with territory issues like the mbuna do, now for those comps in a small tank they predate on fry if they can get close to them but with lelupi more than likely the parents wont let them get close and this follows suit with any fish its just that comp's and calvus have huge mouths and are vacuums aye, in the wild parents of other fish may wonder a bit for foods but not entirely to far so to say. the lelupi will be good parents til the next batch..

hirschy75

AC Members
Nov 14, 2006
rams not hardy? i never had a problem with them and that was when i was first starting off with fish, not cichlids. i vote a few rams

AcydFlames

Ideas Guy... Sometimes
Sep 23, 2008
rams not hardy? i never had a problem with them and that was when i was first starting off with fish, not cichlids. i vote a few rams
I still like these guys. I haven't been able to find any locally yet though. Has anyone used a reputable online dealer with any success, specifically for German Blue Rams?

AcydFlames

Ideas Guy... Sometimes
Sep 23, 2008
Bump. :)

Just getting it back in for possibly some exposure. I'm still looking around and haven't found the perfect stocking list yet. I'm working on a few projects in the meantime to keep me busy, but it's just about time that I add a few more fish to the tank. The pair of Danios in there aren't helping me too much anymore. I need to get a few more in to up that bioload.

I was thinking about a small school (3 to 5 maybe) of barbs. Just a thought. I'm not even sure how they'd do with Rams or Apistos, or the Leleupi mentioned earlier. Ah well, more homework to do, right?

Any input on a colorful collection of fish to act as tank buddies to the cichlids is always appreciated. I really like those tetras that rinmouse showed off here. They look amazing!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store