Single white spot on fish, is it the start of ich, something else or nothing to worry about?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
Canon Eos 450d, GoPro and my phone camera
MOV_0432_Moment(4).jpgMOV_0432_Moment(2).jpg On the top of his tail, I notice a white area a few weeks ago which has gradually raised.
You can see it just before his tail starts, above the black marking on his side. At first I thought maybe it was just part of his markings until it became more of a small lump.
MOV_0674_Moment.jpg

ConfusedCatfish

AC Members
Nov 7, 2020
Its not ich, if it was, there would be a lot of small white spots, much tinier than that and would look like a grain rather than a lump but i dont really know what exactly it is, probably a fungal infection though
Other than that i couldn't help but notice the betta in the background kind of looks like it has a ragged fin and the other fish has black eyes, that indicates they are probably stressed about something

Reactions: PurpleGem

ConfusedCatfish

AC Members
Nov 7, 2020
I have a pic of fungus now, you can use it to compare, there are other manifestations of fungus however, it may just look like a white fuzz on the fins or simply some white fuzz

IMG_20201122_145223.jpg

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
I have a pic of fungus now, you can use it to compare, there are other manifestations of fungus however, it may just look like a white fuzz on the fins or simply some white fuzz
Yeah, there's definitely something going around. Have seen some suspicious looking stuff on my betta and I can't ID what he has (people have mixed opinions on it too), most likely bacterial but could be dealing with more than one disease like fungal too. I saw a white patch on his fins...
Yes, he has ragged fins from fin rot but he's got lots of good regrowth on it now which is great. Also I'm pretty sure the black eye isn't something to be concerned about it's more genetic colouring. Some of the females have completely silver eyes, some have one silver one dark and one has dark eyes.
IMG_0258 (2).JPGIMG_0306 (2).JPG
I have a thread posted asking about it, it''s this grey slow growing fuzzy stuff. Pretty much only on his left side and head, his left gill sticks out.

DSC_0436.JPG

Last edited:

ConfusedCatfish

AC Members
Nov 7, 2020
Yeah, there's definitely something going around. Have seen some suspicious looking stuff on my betta and I can't ID what he has (people have mixed opinions on it too), most likely bacterial but could be dealing with more than one disease like fungal too. I saw a white patch on his fins...
Yes, he has ragged fins from fin rot but he's got lots of good regrowth on it now which is great. Also I'm pretty sure the black eye isn't something to be concerned about it's more genetic colouring. Some of the females have completely silver eyes, some have one silver one dark and one has dark eyes.
View attachment 228124View attachment 228125
I have a thread posted asking about it, it''s this grey slow growing fuzzy stuff. Pretty much only on his left side and head, his left gill sticks out.

View attachment 228126
Im not sure what it is but was the small rusty spot above the gill there since you got him? If not maybe its velvet, i also see 2 white sports one on the gill one above it, 2 is a quite small amount of spots for ich so maybe lymph but it looks quite small
Im not sure about the grey fuzz however

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
Im not sure what it is but was the small rusty spot above the gill there since you got him? If not maybe its velvet, i also see 2 white sports one on the gill one above it, 2 is a quite small amount of spots for ich so maybe lymph but it looks quite small
Im not sure about the grey fuzz however
No, it's something that developed recently. Though the time it has taken to develop is rather confusing because I heard how fast velvet is, if it is velvet wouldn't he be dead by now? He's had it for over a month, it's just been growing over days. Plus I think if it was velvet, he would be covered in it... Yeah, I was wondering if it could be lymph. He has a few of them, there's some weird lumps that I tried photographing, they were on his tail and left pectoral fin.

My best guess is that it's a chronic strain of columnaris but no one has really been able to give me a 100% ID, it's too difficult to diagnose without getting it scraped.

Reactions: ConfusedCatfish

ConfusedCatfish

AC Members
Nov 7, 2020
No, it's something that developed recently. Though the time it has taken to develop is rather confusing because I heard how fast velvet is, if it is velvet wouldn't he be dead by now? He's had it for over a month, it's just been growing over days. Plus I think if it was velvet, he would be covered in it... Yeah, I was wondering if it could be lymph. He has a few of them, there's some weird lumps that I tried photographing, they were on his tail and left pectoral fin.

My best guess is that it's a chronic strain of columnaris but no one has really been able to give me a 100% ID, it's too difficult to diagnose without getting it scraped.
Yeah, i have problems diagnosing too... Its mind blowing how many different diseases fish can get once you actually own them. Once, 2 of my female guppies had lockjaw and i had no idea it was a disease until i noticed they wouldn't eat, then i did some research and heard its incurable on such small fish. I was very sad... But next day they had miraculously healed overnight. I dont know how but im glad they did :)

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
It's not that it is difficult. It's impossible without examining a scrape. We can discount some diseases like ich and fin rot from just looking at a fish, it's probably bacterial but it's not going to get more specific than that.

Reactions: PurpleGem

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
It's not that it is difficult. It's impossible without examining a scrape. We can discount some diseases like ich and fin rot from just looking at a fish, it's probably bacterial but it's not going to get more specific than that.
Yeah. I'm going to try some aquarium salt and see if that helps improve it, if not my last resort would be the tri sulfa that I have. He's impossible to catch so hopefully that will help.

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
Yeah, i have problems diagnosing too... Its mind blowing how many different diseases fish can get once you actually own them. Once, 2 of my female guppies had lockjaw and i had no idea it was a disease until i noticed they wouldn't eat, then i did some research and heard its incurable on such small fish. I was very sad... But next day they had miraculously healed overnight. I dont know how but im glad they did :)
I'm glad too. Yeah, I heard of lockjaw, didn't realise it's incurable, it's great that they recovered from it.

Reactions: ConfusedCatfish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store