Snail question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Airquarius

Registered Member
Aug 31, 2019
So I just got a black mystery snail today from pet smart to be a tank mate to my betta fish. I’ve never had a snail before. I think it’s a male but I’ve named it Gary whatever it actually is. But I’m curious about these flat-ish white dots on its shell. Any help on identifying them and on what to do about it would be great, thanks!CA15F8E5-5F8D-48D0-8D21-8F684F2357B7.jpeg

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
The white spots appear to be eggs from a Nerite snail in various stages of disintegration. No worries as the eggs won't hatch in fresh water.

Reactions: Airquarius

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I hadn't heard of "black nerites" before TL. A quick google & they seem to be a marine species. I wonder if they can adapt to freshwater long term? The more "usual" nerites are FW with a brackish or marine need for reproduction...

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Sorry I am confusing it with the anthracite nerite, Neritina pulligera... it is FW and now bred in brackish/marine in captivity. That is why it has eggs on it from the other snails. It is apparently very easy to breed them if you know the right salinity. The breeders don't want to disclose this...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
No big deal, I hadn't heard of either black nertite of either species.

I do like the black shell, less the egg shells. That & they're need for algae as their food source. I think the 1 time I tried 1 it starved when I went on vacation soon after getting it. It wouldn't eat anything else, I had no idea...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store