Snail/Shrimp Colony

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BlazeitChris

AC Members
Aug 19, 2015
United States
I am currently running a 16 gallon tank with a Fluval C3. I've always wanted an invert tank but have never actually gotten around to setting one up. I was thinking about breeding snails (pond snails, mystery, ramshorn, etc.) as well as cherry shrimp to raise as live food for my fish in the 55 and 20 tanks. My questions are:
1) How many shrimp should I start out with?
2) Can I add a small crayfish (specifically CPO) as well?
3) Anyone have experience with Thai Micro crabs? I've heard they can coexist with shrimp?
-Thanks.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I started out with 10 red cherry shrimp 3-4yrs ago and still have them in 3 out of 4 of my tanks. Took down a planted 10g that was overrun with them in no time. Gave most away. Fed others to some of my tanks. Had hundreds of them in my 29g until I added some tiger barbs to thin them out. My tiger barbs still look like flying meatballs. LOL.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
10 is usually a good start and often seen sized package as well
No crayfish experience/knowledge
No personal experience but yes they can live with shrimp happily

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
CPO will coexist, but they will cut into your shrimp survival rate.

Make sure you check out the crabs before adding them. They are SUPER tiny, and while harmless, they won't be very visible in the tank, and will make cleaning it complicated. I think they're best in a setup of their own.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store