So invite sure this topic has been asked often, but help sexing mystery snail!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RubyAngel

Registered Member
Sep 7, 2017
Oh lord. My phone autocorrected "I'm" to "invite".

I have been keeping fish for several years now, but I just recently got sucked into the world of mystery snails! They are just so cute and so many colors! So anyhow I would like to try and breed them. I looked at all the diagrams and blogs on sexing Apple snails but I am still quite unsure.

I got 3 snails thus far and I think they are all males. It looks like they have an opening on the right side when they are crawling on the glass. Not the greatest photo but here's what it looks like on the right side of the snail.

IMG_2229.JPG

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I was never very good at sexing mystery snails but the best way I found to check em is to take them out and turn them upside down so their opening is facing up but towards you. They will close up but give them a min and they open back up and expose themselves.

This pic gives a good example of what to look for.

Sorry I can't be of more immediate help.

RubyAngel

Registered Member
Sep 7, 2017
lol these poor snails are going to hate me. I keep picking them up and moving them around. I will try this again and have them facing me. :)

RubyAngel

Registered Member
Sep 7, 2017
IMG_2239.JPG IMG_2245.JPG IMG_2247.JPG

So I got better pics...this is all underwater. "She" clung onto my finger so I tilted her shell back a touch. So now I'm thinking female. I don't think I see a penis sheath....ugh no idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store