So much for reestablishing my tank....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
The reason I'm concerned about raising the pH is because without buffering capacity, your tank's pH will drop over time due to the good ol' Nitrogen cycle. I'm not sure how long it would take and if it would have a drastic effect on your fish, but wouldn't you rather keep the pH where it is rather than spend money on pH raising products?

BTW, my fingers are crossed...good luck!!!

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
About adding something to adjust the ph~
Lots of people use cc or other things to raise ph. as far as the ph adjusters in a bottle I know it has been problematic for many people,
I Think thre point here is, James' water read 0 kh!
That indicates that it would be very likely for this water to have an unstable ph once you start messing with it.
I would be interested to know the kh numbers of those of you with successful ph adjusting experiences.
also a ph of 6.2 doesnt sound all that bad to me. plenty of fish would like it.( as long as they are acclimated slowly
If I understand it correctly, going to 0 kh , 0 gh water all of a sudden would be a big shock too.
I am imagining james' white clouds swimming around happily ( if a bit over warm;) ) right this minute.
0 kh 0 gh water seems so odd for a well. Was this test done at the fish store too?

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
alas no luck....found two expired this morning and i think the third is on his way out.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Maybe you mentioned it but i don't see it, have you had the well water checked lately ?...........:idea:

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
yep...tested yesterday and posted the numbers.

I have that same jug sitting for 24hours...will test when I get home and see what it says.

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007
I was wondering about something else in the water, your wp's look good........:)

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
the only catch to something else being in the water are the neons. are they just immune to everything out there? ;o)

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007
You said your Ph was around 6.0 or so, When i test the water thats in the bag, the Ph is usually around 8.0, even tho you did the acclimation process last night, I'm thinking Ph shock, the neons have gotten used to it now...............:idea:

smallfry

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
Well, James, I'm very sorry for your bad luck with this. But since you took such great care to very slowly acclimate the white clouds, I think there is something else afoot (sp?) here.

I was just talking to another member about her fish dying with no warnings and she also has a well, albeit a very deep one. I have a well that I no longer trust myself.

Does any member here know how we can test to see if there are any heavy metals, contaminants, pesticides, or other nasty things in a well? As for me, I don't drink the stuff - and I was going to try it again on a new tank, but have decided to stick with only bottled water from here forward. ( I buy water for all my nanos as of right now)

I think something has to be coming in with the water that isn't being tested for.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store