Stocking a 10g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
ahhhhhhhhhhhh, so confused :)

I dont know much about catfish at all (why im here) so I will see if we can get an agreement on here. I sure dont know what to say. I can say, I want something that will look cool and an easy fish to take care of.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Maybe depends on type. My bronze, albino and sterbai I would and have had them in a 10 gallon with no issues.

But, you will always find varying opinions. Wait and see if others chime in.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I wasnt going to run out and buy them :) The tank isnt ready yet for any fish as far as I know. I cant afford a testing kit right now but that birds and beast pet shop test with a normal testing kit not those strips.

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
Look into pygmy cories. Very active and perfect for a 10g. I wouldn't put any of the medium size cories in a ten gallon either.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Have you thought about kuhli loaches? They are bottom dweller and kinda cool. They have a low bioload which is good because they like to be in groups. The black ones are very active and out and about. The others tend to be a bit more shy. But, I think you would find them interesting. Take a look.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Wow, those things are COOL! but how hard are they to take care of? Keep in mind I have a gravel substrate

after a few min of research, they seem easy enough to take care of. How many with 6 neons and 2 guppies?

Last edited:

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Wow, those things are COOL! but how hard are they to take care of? Keep in mind I have a gravel substrate

after a few min of research, they seem easy enough to take care of. How many with 6 neons and 2 guppies?
i would think theyd like sand better bc they like to burrow.

Have you thought about kuhli loaches? They are bottom dweller and kinda cool. They have a low bioload which is good because they like to be in groups. The black ones are very active and out and about. The others tend to be a bit more shy. But, I think you would find them interesting. Take a look.
im pretty sure they get a little to long for a 10 gal IMO

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
They say to get about 3 inches long. I know they like to burrow and I was thinking about that. What about making a corner of the tank heavily planted with something grass like? My other problem is the light for the tank is really bright and I read that they like lower light areas. That could easily be fixed with a new bulb or simply placing something opeque under the light. There is plexiglass under the light and on the hood of the tank so there is no worry about it getting wet.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
They say to get about 3 inches long. I know they like to burrow and I was thinking about that. What about making a corner of the tank heavily planted with something grass like? My other problem is the light for the tank is really bright and I read that they like lower light areas. That could easily be fixed with a new bulb or simply placing something opeque under the light. There is plexiglass under the light and on the hood of the tank so there is no worry about it getting wet.
you could get some floating plants and 3 inches is pretty big for a 10 gal.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I have 10 of them in a 29 gallon. It is 1/2 gravel and 1/2 sand. They spend equal amounts of time in both. I also kept them on eco complete. They don't so much burrow as hide. So as long as you have hidey holes they will be fine. They are very easy to care for. Get to be around 3-3.5 inches, not too long for a 10 at all because they are very slender. Again, the black ones are a lot more outgoing. They have a very low bio-load. I would put 5-6 in the 10. The more of them there are, the more you will see them. Do a search on this forum for kuhli loaches. There have been several threads.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store