Sum of all Fish Tranquility!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Maybe not physically burn someone's eyes, but they sure can be irritating if you have the diode pointed directly at you...

Incidentally, I got a set for Christmas...they look cool shining through my quartz crystal in the tank...has a "glowing rock" effect...

Great look for a minimal tank, if you can hide the wires right....

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Sumpin'fishy: Yes, to have a light turn on in the room first, then the strip light comes on is the IDEAL situation. However, since I wake up at 5:30 am and my fish wake up at 5:27am, there is no way Im going to wake up earlier by another light turning on in my bedroom. But that would be the best situation.

80GJoe: you have 5 LEDS? what colors are they? I have them shinning through the tank glass top to the bottom of the tank. I have 2 blue ones in the 60 gallon tank as of now.

Experiment those far:

60 gallon: This morning (with 2 blue LEDS) the strip light turned on and the tinfoils did pace fast from one side of the tank to the otherside MANY TIMES (Not hitting anything though). The first experiment went well with the green led, but what I am going to try is to add another BLUE LED to my 60 gallon to total 3 blue LEDs. I would love to add the green led (because that setup proved successful), but my elephant nose doesnt like that, so off to buy another BLUE LED. Walmart sold out of that color, so Im going to have to find another place that sells them or order them off of bigals online. So the next update may take a week.

20 gallon:
Another night using the Red led. Another FAILURE. They did not come out 1 hour after turning off the lights and when I woke up at 5:30 am, they were still not out. so Red and blue leds both do not work. And i could assume the other colors would not work as well (orange, yellow, purple and green).
The 3 petricolas in 60 gallon DOES come out when the blue LED is on. Why the 10 1-2inch petricolas does not come out? who knows? Perhaps Half the tank has pipes and Rocks filled half way
up the tank and they LOVE their maze's and rock homes. But, as of now...the cause of them hiding all the time? Dont know. No aggressive fish and the water quality is good. Even if the tank is small, they should still swim to the open areas and all over the inside of the tank.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I tried having the LEDS inside the tank (in the water) pointing down, but I dindt like:
1.) I didnt like the "look" of a bright light shinning inside the tank at night (hurts my eyes).
2.) I think the fish wouldnt like looking up and going "blind" from the bright LED light.

By placing the led on the glass shinning through the top glass and top water, you do lose some of the intensity of the LED, but it looks more natural. As a viewer, I dont like the bright LEDS hurting my eyes and the fish wont go "blind" by looking up.

Looks natural this way.

If you have the LEDS on the bottom, well thats a whole bucket of worms with the wires and space. Just think if a big fish gets caught in a wire? they will drag it all over the tank! To much trouble for me....

Someone mentioned about the amazon: I dont think fish need ANY LIGHT at night. They are fine. The ONLY fish that I have a problem is the Dist. affinis and the Tinfoils. Everyone else seems fine with the sudden light change.

PS: when I say "hurting...or BLIND" I dont mean literally.. I mean, If you look at a lightbulb- it doesnt hurt you, but it "annoys" yuor eyes...

Last edited:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
LED's

Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh

80GJoe: you have 5 LEDS? what colors are they? I have them shinning through the tank glass top to the bottom of the tank. I have 2 blue ones in the 60 gallon tank as of now.
We have blue green and orange lights (5 total).
The wires are buried deep in the Onyx sand. None of my fish will dig them up; also, there's a large chunk of driftwood on top of the wires.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store