Sum of all Fish Tranquility!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Once someone figures out how to package them in simple little kits were going to see a lot of LED lit tanks, or at least inreef tank.

Most of the reefers cant use strip lights as they dont provide enough light to sustain their animals, so there is a definate push to find new types of lighting that doesnt put out as much heat.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
LED lighting definately has a good future. The new high output LEDs coming out now are incredible. In the computer modding hobby, lighting the insides of a computer is probably one of the most basic mods (other than a side window). That has evolved from a normal car neon light, to cold cathods, and it is now moving onto super bright LEDs. Although the LEDs aren't as bright as a cold cathod, it is undoubtably brighter than a neon light... which says something. I bought myself a LED lit computer fan... that thing produced at least 2-3x more light than my neon light did. On top of that, they use very little energy, and don't heat up to the extent that fluorescent/incandescent lights do. Although its still rather far off, LEDs have great potential to replace lighting as we know it.

-Richer

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
First impressions: Ok

1.) Green light HAS to be replaced by a BLUE light.

2.) I thought during the night Tinfoils are inactive? I am finding them to be more active in fact, and less schooling then during the day.

3.) Skunk cories are actually MOVING. Generally, they just sit there in the corner...

4.) my 8 inch Yellow spot pleco is out swimming with everyone.
5.) NIce Fish shadows on my carpet and walls...

Seriously, isnt this the time where the day fish rest and the night fish come out? None of my day fish are resting...
when I say "rest" I mean frozen in one place not moving.
It could be caused by the extra light, I never took notice of the tank when I turned the lights off.

I am only using 2 LEDS.... I wonder if its to much light? So far, I do recommend them. You will notice different behaviors in your fish. No w the true test will come in the morning. Will they be skittish or not? stay tuned..

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
The experiment was a SUCCESS!!! After only using 2 miracle Beam leds in my tank, the albino tinfoils did not FREAK out when the morning tank light came on. They did school tightly for a minute or 2, but they did not RAM everything in the tank. Let me also mention that this is the first morning I tried this, so I will keep track if this behavior is the norm each morning. I even stood CLOSE to the tank with no ill consequences. Without the MIRACLE beam, they would have acted crazy.

AS of now, I believe these MIracle beam (HI-LITE Led's) gave my tanks a WHOLE new life. I can now watch my fish after darkfall and enjoy the behaviors of my nocturnal fish and the change of behavior of my day fish. To anyone Interested: BUY IT! its well worth the price of $24.95 at walmart.

I also LOVE the shadows my fish make on the carpet and walls.
This product is almost a MUST have for all aquariums. I would stick with the blue colors for the natural look..but they also sell Green, yellow, amber and purple. You can also use the Lazer module (light) in the Hi lite system if you want.

I will update this thread in a weeks time and let you know if this behavior is consistent.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
OK.. second night.
Even though this works.. I turned off the green light and only used one blue light. The reason: the elephant nose did not really leave the one side of the tank during the night (same thing happened with pinballqueens moms elephant nose).

Result:

with only the one blue light... the Tinfoils were back to their old behavior of "FREAKKING OUT"

What am I going to do.

I am going to add 2 more LED blue lights to the 60 gallon.
Maybe this will increase the light during the night and not freak the out.

On a side note:
On my 20 gallon tank, I added one blue LED. I never seen ONE petricola catfish come out of the 10 I have. So the blue light did not "bring them out" during the night or morning.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Blue light doesn't bring out nocturnal fish, its red light that does that. Blue light has a short enough wavelength so that it can penetrate the water deeper than red light. Theortically, fish can see blue light well enough to tell that the lights are on. Whereas with red light, the wave length is long enough so that it doesn't really penetrate the water enough for the fish to see. So even though we can see the red light, they cannot, and so they think its nighttime. More info here.

-Richer

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Yes. thats what i read in MANY places..that red light is not seen by most fish. However, I also read that several poeple do use blue light also. I have read MANY reports from people that have used this color to bring the nocturnal fish out and works. It simulates moonlight and is much more pleasing to the eye then red light is.

Argento13

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
This "nightlight" idea for fish just may be the best gimmick since the bio wheel. Does anyone really think that moonlight has much effect on river fish? And even if it does manage to reach the fish (which i highly doubt), how many aquarium fish that we own are wild caught? Do you think fish breeders have this simulated moonlight on their fry tanks? Are fish startled by the aquarium light being turned on while in pitch dark? Of course they are, just as they are startled if the aquarium light is the last one turned off at night. And, what happens when there is no moon? Just dont turn it on? Puleez.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
1.) bio wheel is not a Gimmick.
2.) The miracle beam is a gimmick if you use it for your own pleasure. However, that is NOT MY INTENTION. Fish does NOT need a nightlight. of course they dont. If you read this thread..which you may not have, the nightlight is used so they wont get PARANOID in the morning and act CRAZY.

And my experiment is working so far. The reason why I am asking these questions, is because I dont want TOO much light entering my tank during the night (they do need their sleep).

So, in my opinion, this is not a Gimmick, yet a NEEDED addition to any tank.
1.)lowers the stress the fish feels in the morning.
2.) you get to view their behavior at night, when normally you cant witness it. IN total, I spent 24.95 on the Hi-Lite system and 18.00 in 2 additional LEDS. Is it worth it..YES
Is this a "GIMMICK" NO WAY!

PS. Some fish do breed according to the moon phases. This is ESPECIALLY true to many CORALS in saltwater.

Argento13

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
Im sure approaching your aquarium in the dark and turning on the strip light does make them paranoid. As stated, turn on the room light before lighting the tank.
Bio Wheel:
I guess we are to believe the bacteria grows on this wheel alone? And without it we will not have a good biological filter? Not to mention the trouble with the wheel. If you wish to spend your money on these products that is your choice. As for fish breeding by the sign of the moon, i do believe the moon effects many things but a light is not needed to help the magnetic fields it produces.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store