Sum of all Fish Tranquility!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Originally posted by Argento13

I guess we are to believe the bacteria grows on this wheel alone? And without it we will not have a good biological filter? Not to mention the trouble with the wheel.
they never claimed you wouldnt without the wheel. The wheel does something no other filters do, seperates mechanical and biological filtration. It gives you the ability to replace all filter cartridges without upsetting your biological balance.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Originally posted by Argento13
As for fish breeding by the sign of the moon, i do believe the moon effects many things but a light is not needed to help the magnetic fields it produces.
the moon light is what triggers spawing in most corals and possibly some fish. Not a magnetic field.

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Argento13 certainly has a point about turning on the room light (or allowing another indirect light source to illuminate the tank before turning on the strip light). Skittishness in fish is usually the result of either bright and abrupt illumination, and/or a bacterial infection due to poor water quality, and/or too small a swimming space.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Ok.. third morning. I added another blue LED to my miracle stystem. After turning the strip light on this morning, the tinfoils did school togethor, but they didnt go spastic throughout the tank that they normally would have. As of today, the experiment of adding is successful. I will continue to update this thread as the day continue.

ON a side note, I did add a RED led to the 20 gallon. With the red light on, I did not see one petricola catfish swimming around the tank at all, same thing when I add the blue led. I am beginning to wonder if they just like to stay under the pile of rocks thats on top of 5 one foot PVC white tubes with one inch space between them. Perhaps they just like this "maze?"

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Take lessons from clown loaches,they would stay in large dark places,they will move out more often as they get used or grow larger,going out in bright lights is totally not an instinct of a noctunal fish,more like they love the hiding place and never want to come out of the "nightclub"

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Hi Lites

I have 5 of those Hi Lites at the bottom of my aquarium. They don't light up things much at all. However, they did look best on top pointing down from the center glass support.

Hatter

Elk Grove Village, IL
I think a $7 dimmer switch would have solved your problem. Gradually brightening the room to simulate the sunrise before turing on the tank light works fine for me...just like nature.

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
Jamison, I think you have an interesting idea for your tank. The only point I would dissagree on is that the LED's are NOT a "needed addition to any tank" as you said. I do agree that you have facilitated ONE way to lower their morning stress levels. You also have added benefits of looking at your fish in the dark at night. I personally feel that their are enough areas of the amazon and other natural habitats in which there is too much tree cover to allow much if any moonlight into the water. I'm sure that there ARE areas of high moonlight sometimes, though. Personally, if I caught a wild fish, I would research the exact area I caught it at and try to match that little niche of the wild to meet it's needs in a tank.

In summary, I think you have a fine and interesting solution to your room's situation of no light getting to the tank before you turn on the lights. Most of our tanks (unless in the basement) have sufficient light reach the tank that the fish do not over-react to the strip lights coming on.

I personally have my timers set to come on at 9 am and turn off at midnight. I do this so that they gradually get light to the room in the mornings, and I like to watch them late at night sometimes. They are in the dining room, so I don't keep that light on all night. They do get abrupt darkness when midnight hits, but I've never seen this freek them out a bit. They seem to be very used to and comfortable with the setup. This is not the most "realistic" light setup, I agree, but my fish do not jump around unless I bang the stand they are on, for some reason :eek: Man, I hate when I accidentally do that!

At any rate, I think the simplest solution for those who can't get light to their tank before turning on the tank lights is to invest in a timer on a lamp across the room, as I mentioned near the beginning of this thread. I'm really glad you are doing this research on the LED's and posting your results, though! Now we can all benefit!

jbcwilli

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
London, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Just a side note to the LED thread. LED's are NOT lasers or lazers (as it has been spelled here a few times. The light they emit is not coherent as is the light from a laser, and cannot burn a hole in the bottom of your tanl, or injure anyone's (or any fishes') eyes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store