SUNSUN HW-302 Outside Filter setup & test

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The same hardware gets like 5 or 6 different stickers and boxes, and gets sold under 5 or 6 different names. Sun Sun, Aquatop, and Marineland are the most common names. Although, they don't do any of the UV models under the Marineland name, but the filter pads fit *perfectly* if you get the corresponding size Marineland. So far, I haven't gotten anyone to admit that, but when pretty much everything that isn't merely cosmetic is identical, so the books have different covers, but the stories are the same.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
LOL! Yes, the wording on them is horrendous. You'd be done for if you had no clue how these things work.

So far I am super pleased with my Sunsun 302. Setup and startup was a breeze. My only issue was on some of the suction side piping. I broke the female collar on one piece used for the surface skimmer. I never intended on using the surface skimmer anyway, so it was a non-issue.

michelv815

AC Members
Feb 25, 2007
Gallatin,Tennessee
I stock my trays as follows bottom tray:3 filterpads coarse(blue)on one side,fine(white)on the other,cut from a big filter pad.2nd tray:carbon and purigen.3rd tray:bio-balls.

jawasnack

Live plants and fish make you smile
Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
Hey everyone, been a while since I hit up this form. Been a happy Sun-Sun 302 owner for almost 2yrs now, but unfortunately I was a little to rough with it the last time I took it a part to give it a good cleaning and I broke the impeller shaft :(

I can't remember if it was ever decided, is one of the marineland impellers a direct replacement for this model sun sun 302? Can I order just the impeller shaft or do I I have to get the entire impeller assembly?

Thanks guys!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I would happily wager it's the same part for both, and just order from someplace that has a good return policy, like Amazon. As far as whether you need just the shaft or the whole assembly, I couldn't tell you.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I'd search amazon for the part.. I know I inquired about the parts and the store that shipped my sun sun informed me they carry spare parts on hand.

EdaxFlamma

Plant Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2009
Delaware
How much media (specifically subtrat pro and biomax) can you fit into a 302 tray? Would one liter be sufficient?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I used 1 box of the fluval biomax in my 302 and it could handle more but really doesn't need more for my 75 Altum tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store