Tank Mates for Angelfish in a 55 Gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm going to say I'm not a fan of livebearers...but between the angels & adult platys there may not be much of an overpopulation issue...& they come in pretty colors...Pics please (nagging, lol).

Do you have live plants? If not, that's something else to try...(more nagging, lol).

Just a thought, you could rehome the raphael...& have room for more visible cool fish...

cockwheat

AC Members
Oct 9, 2020
I'm going to say I'm not a fan of livebearers...but between the angels & adult platys there may not be much of an overpopulation issue...& they come in pretty colors...Pics please (nagging, lol).

Do you have live plants? If not, that's something else to try...(more nagging, lol).

Just a thought, you could rehome the raphael...& have room for more visible cool fish...
That's what I heard as well about the platys, the pretty colors are the winning factor for me as well! Will absolutely post pics once I pick up some for the quarantine tank!! I've tried live plants so many times before and they always end up dying, but I'd be absolutely willing to give them a chance if you have any advice, my tank floor is substrate with a thin layer of larger round stones on top, and I always have tried Amazon Swords . As for the Raphael, I'm too attached to him he's my favorite guy even though I never see him the rare glimpses I get make him worth it in my eyes.

Last edited:

cockwheat

AC Members
Oct 9, 2020
tank.jpg
Here is the 55 gallon with the angels at the moment. The left light is out because I took the bulb out for some testing of another hood I have and the log hide in the middle is temporary, it is usually a larger tree stump that has enclosed roots, (almost like thick tubes enclosed on one end) where the Raphael likes to stay! I'm giving the usual stump a good cleaning so that's why the temp hide is there. I'm planning on rearranging and adding a few more hides I have laying around from previous decorating arrangements. There is also an air stone under the pink tree on the left, but I currently need to replace the tubing as my *wonderful* cat decided to slash the tubing in half a few nights ago :/ Like I said in my previous post I would love to add real plants so suggestions to anything hardy and plant-beginner friendly would be much appreciated!!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I understand the rare fish sightings, we also loved our clown plecos. Nocturnal too, but since I'm an insomniac I saw them often. It was just a thought...

Bigger tetras might take out some platy fry too...

As for plants, there are easier 1s than swords. Java fern & anubias attach to wood or rocks & need no special care like ferts. Cryptocorynes are planted in the substrate with a root tab fertilizer nearby every 3 or 4 months (even I can do that much). All of them come in several species or varieties & can grow in almost any lighting. Take a look at them! Live plants are wonderful (OK, I belong to a plant club & think everyone should have some. They look good & help with water quality & fish dynamics breaking up sightlines & more!). Try again!

Reactions: cockwheat

cockwheat

AC Members
Oct 9, 2020
I understand the rare fish sightings, we also loved our clown plecos. Nocturnal too, but since I'm an insomniac I saw them often. It was just a thought...

Bigger tetras might take out some platy fry too...

As for plants, there are easier 1s than swords. Java fern & anubias attach to wood or rocks & need no special care like ferts. Cryptocorynes are planted in the substrate with a root tab fertilizer nearby every 3 or 4 months (even I can do that much). All of them come in several species or varieties & can grow in almost any lighting. Take a look at them! Live plants are wonderful (OK, I belong to a plant club & think everyone should have some. They look good & help with water quality & fish dynamics breaking up sightlines & more!). Try again!
Thank you so much!! All your advice has been so helpful!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store