Tank that will NOT cycle!!! Please help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
Some of you may remember when I originally set this tank up about 4ish months or longer ago, I'm not really sure what I am doing wrong but I can not get it to cycle to save my life and it's starting to become very stressful. I've tried every suggestion and everything I could think of to get the cycle going but it just will not start. I have added countless bottles of tetra safe start(i believe)(the one with the live bacteria), change 30% of the water at least every two days(if not daily), I read somewhere that the PH of my water was probably too low for the bacteria to colonize so I purchased live sand and replaced the gravel to raise PH levels(previously my tap was too low for the test to read and after the sand the PH is around 8.0), I even got so desperate that I made a post on facebook asking anyone if I could use some of their filter media and one of my friends responded and gave me some from her established cichlid tank and THAT STILL DID NOT WORK.......My ammonia levels remain high(between 2ppm-4ppm even with water changes) and I have NEVER had a reading of Nitrite or Nitrate(always at 0ppm) everytime I do a water change I use Tetra's auquasafe to condition the water(I overdose it to make sure the chlorine is gone) I have no idea what to do next and have ran out of options......I would love to truly enjoy my fish the way the hobby is meant to but it's looking more and more like that is never happening.......any suggestions would be VERY appreciated. Thanks.......oh and I also use the API freshwater Test Kit for the results that does not expire until 12/2020

20160708_003506.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
OK, what kind of filter are you using? Are you cleaning it? How? What kind of water conditioner are you using?

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
I have two filters......one is a double HOB filter(came with the tank) and the other I'm not really sure of but it is another HOB that has a built in UV sterilizer(I keep the UV sterilizer turned off besides when I first got it), I have cleaned it before but everyone said to stop cleaning until the tank cycles so i have not cleaned it in probably a little over a month(when i added the live sand) when idid clean it though I never used soap or anything like that I just vac the gravel and used a dry rag to wipe down the inside of the glass and the conditioner is from Tetra it's called AquaSafe.

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Do you have fish in this tank? Have you tried another liquid test kit? One guess would be your nitrites are so high they're reading a false zero, but fish wouldn't live long in that environment. It's also very common to not do the nitrate test properly.

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
Do you have fish in this tank? Have you tried another liquid test kit? One guess would be your nitrites are so high they're reading a false zero, but fish wouldn't live long in that environment. It's also very common to not do the nitrate test properly.
When I first got the tank I knew nothing about the cycle so I've had fish in the tank since day one. And when I test for nitrates I follow the directions exactly as described....put in the drops from the 1st bottle and then shake bottle #2 for 30 seconds and then add it to the test tube and then shake the tube for 1 min.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
If you are using the API master kit, follow the nitrate test to the letter! I had extremely high nitrate readings that I couldn't lower even with massive water changes on a daily basis. My LFS tested my water, using the API liquid kit, but didn't follow the directions, and got a much lower reading than I did. The conclusion was that the nitrate was "safe" any my kit was bad. I bought a brand new kit, retested my tank (following the directions), and got the same excessively high reading. (By "excessively high", I mean the vial was blood red.)

The reason the nitrate was so high was due to an accumulation of plant debris in the pump housing of my filter.

If you've been using SafeStart and AquaSafe, you should have bacteria in your tank. Those products were intended to be used together, according to Tetra. However, if your tank is really under stocked, the cycle will be really slow to start. My 180g took forever to start reading anything too, and the reason I got nitrate showing up was due to having live plants in the tank.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
You got "Live Sand"? For a FW tank? From where did you get the "Live Sand"?

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
If you are using the API master kit, follow the nitrate test to the letter! I had extremely high nitrate readings that I couldn't lower even with massive water changes on a daily basis. My LFS tested my water, using the API liquid kit, but didn't follow the directions, and got a much lower reading than I did. The conclusion was that the nitrate was "safe" any my kit was bad. I bought a brand new kit, retested my tank (following the directions), and got the same excessively high reading. (By "excessively high", I mean the vial was blood red.)

The reason the nitrate was so high was due to an accumulation of plant debris in the pump housing of my filter.

If you've been using SafeStart and AquaSafe, you should have bacteria in your tank. Those products were intended to be used together, according to Tetra. However, if your tank is really under stocked, the cycle will be really slow to start. My 180g took forever to start reading anything too, and the reason I got nitrate showing up was due to having live plants in the tank.
I have followed the directions to a t. And I don't believe I am understocked....I have 1 pleco, 10 African cichlids, and an Oscar(he may be moved later if aggression gets bad but so far so good) and the tank is a 55gal (once the Oscar is big enough he'll need a bigger tank but for now he is small and they all get along fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store