The 150: a work in progress.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dvandevelde1

AC Members
Jul 30, 2015
Take the stick out and boil it is the only way I know... besides the release of tannins slowing down over time.
I would love to see a pot that is big enough to boil a piece of wood that is aprox. 4ft by 1.5ft. I don't think I could possibly boil that much water with my old piece of garbage of a stove.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
metal trash can on an out door propane burner like the hispanics used with their giant kettles? You may not be able to do it with what you have but it can be done if it is that annoying to you.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I don't mind tannins, but to each their own. Otherwise looks good. Pretty sure I can ship a flat rate box for about $6, but might be better to wait for warmer weather (you are back east correct?). If you are still interested come spring, I'll have a bunch of rotalla. Just did a trim again and had to throw some out for lack of space. :(

dvandevelde1

AC Members
Jul 30, 2015
I don't mind tannins, but to each their own. Otherwise looks good. Pretty sure I can ship a flat rate box for about $6, but might be better to wait for warmer weather (you are back east correct?). If you are still interested come spring, I'll have a bunch of rotalla. Just did a trim again and had to throw some out for lack of space. :(
Yeah I'm in New Jersey so it's pretty chilly around these times... Sounds good though. I'll get in touch with you in the spring and we'll go from there:)

Zardra77

AC Members
Apr 30, 2009
MA
Looking good. The tannins will eventually go away over time. I'm not a fan of them either only because it's harder to see through. Give it time.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
If you want Rotalla and some Java moss I (and probably some pelilia mixed around in the moss) I can ship you a whole bag full. Weather is fine here..... Just pay shipping. Someone else did me a good turn on here awhile ago so I am looking to pass it on.

dvandevelde1

AC Members
Jul 30, 2015
If you want Rotalla and some Java moss I (and probably some pelilia mixed around in the moss) I can ship you a whole bag full. Weather is fine here..... Just pay shipping. Someone else did me a good turn on here awhile ago so I am looking to pass it on.
How would we go about payment?

Capt. Ray

Registered Member
Jan 10, 2016
You could always look at some marine type lights to get fixtures/bulbs that will get higher light levels deeper. Personally; I think a sweet hardscape down below with some plants (maybe moss/java fern/anubias or similar) attached to the hardscape higher up might look kinda cool. You could really have some light drama going on in that tank with a darker bottom/more brightly lit top; which is what happens in many bodies of water anyway.

Capt. Ray

Registered Member
Jan 10, 2016
DVAN & CAL: Thanx for your views. I am planning on a120gal when I can find a steel stand that will hold two 120';s, piggyback that is evidently strong enough, will not distort with time (as I've cautioned DOES happen), and a price tag I can live with. Currently I'm off to a slow start, thinking about my aquaria at age 12 & that area of time seventy years back. So far, I have two 10's & one 29 Gal in my exersize room, plus two 55 gal & another 29 in the llving room with three steel stands...so there is room for two more 55's. The proposed 120 (or thereabouts) will also go into my exercise room. I am barely started but have a lot of new technology to digest (& afford). Recently, ...well actually ALL of the above is VERY RECENT, I have had difficulties understanding water problems & serious losses of my piscine friends...three Koi angel of breeding size, several fancy guppies, a sailfin dalmation molly male...& others.. I have never before witnessed such bullying amongst those several varieties, as witness the remaining misnamed angel who blinded both eyes of a tankmate angel, and eating away the operculum of one side...inflicting large bare spots on a second tankmate angel, finally dieing himself (I am certain of the gender). I found all THAT within the first 48 hours I had them! I've seen pearl gouramis, normally a tranquil sort of neighbor, bullying smaller tankmates...dalnmation mollies bullying...even friendly guppies. Amongst the latter, a couple of males seemed to be trying to dismember other males. You must know that I have been running myself ragged setting up fish infirmaries or putting threatened members into protective custody.
However, these incidents are NOT my primary concern. The quality of tank water IS. I keep getting a kind of film on the surface that might impinge on oxygenation (without aerators), and soaks flake food, prevents it from spreading-out. I have been and always AM a most cautious guy with ALL of my household, which also includes two Certified Service Dogs....BUT, discouragement being normally foreign to me, I thought that by now I'd have a good start towards the kind of Planted Aquaria I was noted for as a kid, and here I am, tearing-DOWN some beautiful arrangements.
Fellows, I heartily commend each of you for your own successes and will follow your supplements to STEAL AWAY your best ideas. If, in passing, you happen to be familiar with any of the issues I bring to our table, I'd be much obliged for any & all suggestions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store