The 150: a work in progress.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dvandevelde1

AC Members
Jul 30, 2015
Hello everyone, I know its been a while since I've posed an update but over the past weeks a lot has happened! I have gotten more fish and plants. Thanks again to calivivarium1 for hooking me up with the plants. I'm incredibly impressed by the generosity and humbleness of all of the members on this forum and hope to continue to experience the kindness of such wonderful people for years to come. Here y'all go!

image.jpeg

Reactions: Zardra77

Zardra77

AC Members
Apr 30, 2009
MA
Looking good, I always liked the black sand look and your wood with the rocks kind of pop against it. Can't wait to see how the plants fill in.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Newest pictures look great! Water seems to have cleared up nicely. I also love the black sand and your choice of rocks, are they basalt? Did you ever start adding ferts? I love how you are so young but jumped right into plants, diy overflows and sumps. I expect big things from you! lol ;)

Reactions: Zardra77

dvandevelde1

AC Members
Jul 30, 2015
Newest pictures look great! Water seems to have cleared up nicely. I also love the black sand and your choice of rocks, are they basalt? Did you ever start adding ferts? I love how you are so young but jumped right into plants, diy overflows and sumps. I expect big things from you! lol ;)
Thank you so much for all the kind words:) I found the rocks on a trail when my brother and I were off-road in his jeep. I have no clue what kind of rocks they are. I've been dosing flourish for like 3 weeks now and I have some Root tabs in the substrate as well. I am a huge fan of the sump and wanted it on this tank so badly.... I just had to make it happen. My brother was the inspiration because his reef has a sump. The DIY overflow was fun for me to do (I'm semi decent with my hands). I just need to get some Krylon fusion to paint the overflow. Also may be getting a 4 bulb t5ho fixture soon. This tank may turn out nice someday... And as for me being young, I really wish there were more young people in this hobby. Lastly, I hope I deliver on your expectation of big things from me.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Ah, your big bro (I'm assuming big) influence is noticeable. If you found the rocks locally like that there is a very good chance they are basalt, that's mainly what we have here in Jersey, just not lying around like that in my area. :(

A 4bulb t5ho is a lot of light, even at this great depth. Check out THIS thread for a some solid lighting info. High light is fine IF you intend to go into daily dosing of ferts and pressurized CO2 (high tech). My view on it is, if you don't see any lack of light deficiencies (weak plants, small leaves, long stringy looking plants that seem to get denser as they get closer to the light) then leave a good thing alone. :) IF this was my tank I would probably go with 2 - 2 bulb home depot T8 fixtures for low/medium light (low at the bottom, medium in the middle of the tank) that covers the back to front spread nicely. At this light level you can still add daily ferts and CO2 to increase plant growth and health too.

Glad to hear you are planning to paint the overflow. ;)

I agree! Not enough young people in the hobby these days! At clubs and conventions I am hard pressed to find people even of my age, younger? Forget about it! And I'm no youngin, I am 33! It is better now (that I'm older) but 9 years ago when I first got into this hobby...a 24 yr old FEMALE at a club meeting was like seeing a unicorn! lol

With someone to guide and inspire you (your bro) I think you will have no problem delivering those "big things". Boy, I'm jealous of having a fish buddy! Everyone I know hates everything to do with fish now that I've drowned them in it! hehe

dvandevelde1

AC Members
Jul 30, 2015
Ah, your big bro (I'm assuming big) influence is noticeable. If you found the rocks locally like that there is a very good chance they are basalt, that's mainly what we have here in Jersey, just not lying around like that in my area. :(

A 4bulb t5ho is a lot of light, even at this great depth. Check out THIS thread for a some solid lighting info. High light is fine IF you intend to go into daily dosing of ferts and pressurized CO2 (high tech). My view on it is, if you don't see any lack of light deficiencies (weak plants, small leaves, long stringy looking plants that seem to get denser as they get closer to the light) then leave a good thing alone. :) IF this was my tank I would probably go with 2 - 2 bulb home depot T8 fixtures for low/medium light (low at the bottom, medium in the middle of the tank) that covers the back to front spread nicely. At this light level you can still add daily ferts and CO2 to increase plant growth and health too.

Glad to hear you are planning to paint the overflow. ;)

I agree! Not enough young people in the hobby these days! At clubs and conventions I am hard pressed to find people even of my age, younger? Forget about it! And I'm no youngin, I am 33! It is better now (that I'm older) but 9 years ago when I first got into this hobby...a 24 yr old FEMALE at a club meeting was like seeing a unicorn! lol

With someone to guide and inspire you (your bro) I think you will have no problem delivering those "big things". Boy, I'm jealous of having a fish buddy! Everyone I know hates everything to do with fish now that I've drowned them in it! hehe
Yes, it's great to be able to discuss the many aspects of an aquarium with him. We really help each other a lot with this hobby. Also, thanks so much for that link. I learned a lot reading through that. Maybe I'll just stick with the lighting I have and upgrade my sump and get a better pump:)

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
I really like the mixed species you have in the tank. All the gouramis is a nice touch. Are you going to add more of them? Have you seen any aggression? Your school of barbs is great as well. What's the total stocking list?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store