The official 65g FOWLR diary thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Well, the seller I bought my unit from wrote back and we're adding a faucet adapter for another $5 (phew!).

SF - doesn't look like a great deal to me honestly. Mine was $115 US and included the PSI and TDS meters as well as the DI unit, so you're looking at significant extra expense for this one. Check out the seller I bought from, they've got hundreds of units for sale. Some include one or both meters free, some include DI, and they've got filters priced as low as $85 US.

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
I don't think I want to be drilling holes anywhere. I already got heck for installing a satelite dish on the roof...not sure what would happen if I messed with the plumbing.
I lugged home enough water to last a month. ooooooooooo my back!
My blue linckia passed on...sad to say, my first real loss. I hear they are hard to keep, I might try a fromia in future. :(

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
We got a few in at work, they died rather quickly. Sorry you lost yours, they've got a lousy survival record from what I've read; no one's really sure exactly what they eat.

Just a little update on the 65g, the flagfin's personality really seems to be emerging, it's really great to see him settling in. He's certainly king of the hill, and even though no one's challenging him he's spent the last few days letting everyone know it. Yesterday I got too close to the tank for his comfort and he gave ME attitude! I backed off to let him think he's in charge, he makes me laugh. He's putting on weight, eating everything from nori to pellets to frozen brine/mysis/marine cuisine with gusto. I keep hearing how difficult these fish are to keep, but it's all the other angels I seem to have back luck with; I've lost a few to unknown causes, had one that developed a taste for corals and a nasty attitude to go with it, but no matter what Midas carries on and his condition keeps improving. After all the dead fish I saw at work today it's nice to come home to that :)

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Well, the drama never ends. I lost most of the colt coral, the base just rotted out. I fragged the healthy bits and they're in my 'frag tank' (bucket w/ PH, glass top and light) where they'll hopefully recover. The finger leather is bleached out, a lovely pale yellow (used to be tan, green when it deflated at night). I couldn't find fault with the water, that is until I touched it. I guess my Ebo-Jager heater stuck in the on position, but the little red light never turned on so I didn't even notice. The temperature went up to around 89F, I'm floored that the Xenia, hammer and frogspawn showed no sign of stress and the fish are doing great. This tank always runs hot (with four PHs a canister and a skimmer plus a glass top and two light fixtures, I'm not surprised), around 83-84F, which I'd say is the upper limit. I'm glad I didn't lose everything. For now I've pulled the plug on the heater and it's back down to the mid-eighties. I'll be getting some eggcrate tomorrow or the next day along with a fan to try and cool things down a little more.

I scored bigtime this week :D I traded a few Xenia frags in for this little beauty. He's doing really well, eating like a champ. He's the last fish for this tank (yay!) and will hopefully be with us for a long time.

Last edited:

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I haven't got the RO/DI yet, hopefully it will be delivered this week. Apparantly the woman in charge of shipping was sick last week but everything's back on track as of yesterday.

The tank has gone through some changes in the last few days, this is what happens when my husband is away, I'm off work and boredom hits :D

I moved a rock from the back to the front, adjusted the powerheads so the flow is better and then started adding corals. I moved half the fox coral, the wall hammer and 80% of the GSP from the 30g into the 65g; all three were getting much too large for the 30g. I had a little candycane frag with no home (it's been living in a bucket), so it's now in the 65g along with some zoanthids, yellow polyps and funky mushrooms I got last night. There's something to be said for being a LFS regular; I got some great deals.

My husband wasn't comfortable with the idea of eggcrate, so I agreed to try removing the defective heater, leaving the glass and seeing how things worked out. Even with a tight-fitting glass cover and a warm apartment it's staying steady at 81F during the night and 83F at midday which is just fine with me. The fish and corals all look much happier now, even the corals that were moved yesterday look great. My hubby took the camera out of town with him, but as soon as he's back I'll take some pictures of the tank, it looks completely different now.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
The saddlebacks killed both gobies before we could get the evil beasts into their new tank, they chased one to death, and the second died after the clowns were removed; I think she was just too stressed. Even though I tried putting food into and around her little cave, she just refused to come out or eat. I'll really miss them, they were great fish. I learned a lesson the hard way - sand-sifting gobies don't mix well with semi-agressive and agressive fish, even small ones.

Now that the clowns are out and the gobies are gone, the bioload is significantly reduced... and yet there's a horrid cyano bloom going on. I'm assuming it's the result of two fish dying within days of each other and overfeeding (I was putting lots of food under the sand to try and encourage the remaining goby to eat).

The other fish are doing great, but a few of the corals look like death warmed over - the tank is running very hot (84F +) and some of them are bleaching. Levels look okay, but no doubt there have been nutrient spikes which can't have helped. I'm going to try and find eggcrate tomorrow.

I finally got the 6-stage RO/DI working, no thanks to the manufacturer's 'directions'! Thanks to charlie for the diagram, it was the only thing that saved me. It's busy dripping away in the other room, putting out water at a TDS of 8; apparantly for the first little while the readings are high, because of dust from the filter inserts or something (though I did flush them), so I'm not worried. Coming right off the RO membrane the TDS is 3, which I think is right where it should be. I'm so happy to have RO water, it's been ages since I did a decent water change since the water coming from the tap was actually worse than what's in the tanks! I'm surprised, our tap water has a TDS of 125 - I figured it would be lower. No more tap for me, I'm excited to see if things improve with RO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store