The official 65g FOWLR diary thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Blue linckia stars are gorgeous, good luck with it :)

Well, I'm a moron. Yup, it's official, I said it, apparantly somewhere between here and the LFS my brain fell out. Let's see if I can explain: using tap water seemed so easy, and I haven't had any algae problems beyond new tank blooms, but my 65g has been plagued with a recurring NO2 spike of ~0.1ppm and I haven't been able to sort out why. Tonight, I nailed down the cause and afterwards gave myself a big slap on the forehead...

Our tap water tests 0 for NO3, PO4 and NO2. I checked today and it tests 0.3ppm for ammonia :eek:. So that means the water plant is using chloramines, not chlorine, and I've never checked it fresh out of the tap. After adding Prime, the NH3 test shows zero; I assume that means that any time I test for NH3, my tank will always show a result that's essentially false.

Tonight I checked the NO2 level in the 65g and was frustrated to still see a hint of pink in the test vial; it's below 0.1ppm, but it's still measurable. I had a brainstorm - why not check the water that's mixing right now, it's been in the tub for about a week. Sure enough, there was the problem - I've gotten in the habit of mixing water ahead of time (usually I do the water change and immediately make up another 20g) and some of the equipment must have built up a bacterial population that's converting the NH3 in my water's chloramines into NO2. The water in the Rubbermaid measures 0.3ppm NO2. I can't check the NH3 level because I've used Prime, but I have no doubt there is/was a measurable level there that would have gone into the tank.

I can't even believe it - my water changes are making things worse, not better! So for now (I don't want to waste 20g of SW) I've added some LR rubble to the tub and will wait until I see NO2 hit zero before using the water. I figure with 0.3ppm the resulting NO3 will be minimal and it will still be worth using.

We're looking into an RO unit but it's a really bad time for a large expense; the college faculty just went on strike, which means my husband and I (as support staff) are temporarily without work.

I'm glad the levels are low and the tanks are fine, but I guess it was a dumb idea to use tap afterall. We don't use RO at work and so many people told me I was being paranoid, but I think I was actually just lucky. My 30g shows consistant zeros across the board, even after a water change, but it's a more mature tank with an established biological filter and gets smaller water changes, so I guess it just takes the extra ammonia in stride. I'm kicking myself, as I type (don't try that at home, it's tricky ;))

*Sigh* I'll tell myself what I tell customers who berate themselves for making mistakes with their tanks - as long as you learn from it, it's okay to mess up. Thankfully I haven't hurt anything but I do feel like an idiot. [/rant] :D

Last edited:

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
I won't even drink tap water anymore. I can't see spending all this cash on stuff and using ((*&^% tap water. Anyway. You don't need to get an expensive r/o system. Aquarium pharmaceuticals has a resin filter that's only 30 or so dollars stateside and it makes high quality distilled water. Some people even run their r/o water thru them to remove hard minerals that the r/o unit misses... I'm considering getting one. I've read good things about them. Even if its a bit time consumimg, its easier on the back lol.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I have to thank you for that link! I found a 100gpd RO+DI with free PSI and TDS meters for $115 US. It should arrive before the end of the month, I'm very excited :D I'm willing to bet the tanks will look ten times better when we start using RO/DI water, should have bought one of these ages ago.

charlie

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
what? I paid $250 with shipping and extra filters. I should get mine next week. I ordered on March 1. These guys are slow.

You are welcome for the link. It was recommend to me by another member.

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
I'm going to keep lugging the water for awhile. I'll need a plumber to install an r/o d/i since I'm a bit on the stoopid side when it comes to this stuff and don't want to install myself which would just cause me alot of swearing. :)
But quality water makes the difference. I'm surprised you had the results you did Blinky!

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Sorry, the $115 I listed was just for the RO/DI unit, PSI and TDS meters - it didn't include any extra filters or shipping. With shipping it totalled around $150US but it's still a much better deal than anything I can find in stores around here. OMG those instructions are brutal - they say you don't need a plumber, yet they want me to drill through my countertop and pierce my water line? I'm scared now, I live in an apartment and I don't think this is exactly allowed!! I've got a coworker at the LFS who happens to be a plumber (just finished his apprenticeship, so everything should be fresh in his mind lol), maybe I can hire him to do this for me. Come to think of it, I met a nice guy here on AC who is also a plumber. I'm going to make some calls when this thing gets here!

charlie

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
I got the faucet adaptor ($5) so I don't have to tap into and water lines. I'm renting as well. The instructions are terrible. sounds like everything leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store