The Reading Room

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr.key

circumambulator
Dec 30, 2007
I read Discworld and misc, sci-fi for fluff (Philip K. ****, Harlan Ellison, Dan Simmons (early) James Triptree Jr. etc etc) the rest is various little research projects.

Read Terry Pratchett, you'll live longer (don't skip the footnotes) start with Good Omens.

[edit:stupid thing PhilipK.****]
[edit:getting upset d i and then c k]

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
I am currently reading Generation Kill

Evan wright is the author.

Its a pretty gripping story about the marines first recon. The writer, was actually in the convoy that went through the towns first in IRAQ. It started as a story for the rolling stones, and has now been turned into a mini series for HBO, that will be airing in July I think:

Here is an excerpt from the forward.

Its another Iraqi town, nameless to the marines racing down the main drag in Humvees, Blowing it to pieces.
....The ambush started when the lead vehicle of the second platoon - The one I ride in-rounded the corner into town.

Heres a link to the trailer:http://www.hbo.com/events/generationkill/

I have to say, that the book is not usually something I would read. It was highly recommended by a friend, and I am glad i borrowed it. ( almost done , ..37 pages left to go!)

I read alot of koontz, Steven King, Patricia Cornwall, James Patterson( north) , And I am also into reading , fiction, and non, about WW2.
If I am recommended a book, I will try and read it. I am just not a mushy love story type of girl...Medical and legal thrillers are more my thing.

I also need to find the book bitsy was talking about, sounds amusing, When i was a kid, I loved the choose your own ending books:)

FireDancer7905

I'm in love!
Jul 15, 2006
SJ Bay Area
www.opheliabreathes82.blogspot.com
Real Name
Brandy
Bird by Bird, Anne Lammot

For anyone who has ever thought about writing, this is the book for you! She is funny, and tells her truths about being a writer, paid and unpaid. While reading of her life, I have gained great insight into how that most magical of creatures, the author, lives a life. I left the book with a greater appreciation for the people who have inspired my passion.

FireDancer7905

I'm in love!
Jul 15, 2006
SJ Bay Area
Real Name
Brandy
The Burn Journals by Brent Runyon

Brent's journey through teenage depression, suicide attempt and his recovery. his journal highlights the emotions leading up to the moment when he douses a bathrobe in gasoline, puts it on, and lights himself on fire. The burns cover 85% of his body, and he spends the next year of his life in hospitals, rehab clinics and confusion about why he did what he did. This account is as real as it gets, and gives true insight into a teen on the edge.

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX
I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan

Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

Son of a Witch Gregory Maguire

Repairman Jack series by Paul Wilson

Anita Blake novels(my guilty pleasure :grinyes: ) by Laurell K. Hamilton
Don't buy the last 2 books IMO, they havent been tht great

Any thing by the Author Stephen Baxter (awsome sci fi writer)

Necroscope series by Brian Lumley

Cell by Stephen King

Currently between books and looking for something new. Any suggestion for a Sci Fi reader/Horror reader

FireDancer7905

I'm in love!
Jul 15, 2006
SJ Bay Area
Real Name
Brandy
Currently between books and looking for something new. Any suggestion for a Sci Fi reader/Horror reader
Have you read Snow Crash by Stephenson? I read it in '99 or so, and really enjoyed it. It's set in an alternate 21st century, complete US dystopia, technology is taking over, etc. It was pretty good.

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX
The Host by Stephanie Meyer

When Earth is taken over by an alien race, legendary alien Wanderer is put into a host who refuses to give herself over to the new being inside her head. The struggle between the two souls, and their quest to live lives apart, yet together, is fascinating. How can they be, hating each other, and work for the one thing they both desperately want? The ending left me surprised and breathless. Like with her vampire series, Twilight, Meyer has created characters that won't leave you alone.

Rating: 10/10 smilies :read: - the best book I've read this week!
Have you read Snow Crash by Stephenson? I read it in '99 or so, and really enjoyed it. It's set in an alternate 21st century, complete US dystopia, technology is taking over, etc. It was pretty good.
Time to go to half price books, cause both sound really good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store