The Reading Room

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan

Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

Son of a Witch Gregory Maguire

Repairman Jack series by Paul Wilson

Anita Blake novels(my guilty pleasure :grinyes: ) by Laurell K. Hamilton
Don't buy the last 2 books IMO, they havent been tht great

Any thing by the Author Stephen Baxter (awsome sci fi writer)

Necroscope series by Brian Lumley

Cell by Stephen King

Currently between books and looking for something new. Any suggestion for a Sci Fi reader/Horror reader
the necrosope series i love...

the cell, was actually a little disappointing IMHO, ..

as well as lisey's story by him:(

I am an avid reader of mary higgens clark, ..she always spins a great tale...

I am also looking for new reading, ..found a book at a sale called last things, .and am hoping to start it tonight .

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan

Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

Son of a Witch Gregory Maguire

Repairman Jack series by Paul Wilson

Anita Blake novels(my guilty pleasure :grinyes: ) by Laurell K. Hamilton
Don't buy the last 2 books IMO, they havent been tht great

Any thing by the Author Stephen Baxter (awsome sci fi writer)

Necroscope series by Brian Lumley

Cell by Stephen King

Currently between books and looking for something new. Any suggestion for a Sci Fi reader/Horror reader
I loved wicked. It was very well written!

I recently read Napoleon's Buttons. It was a very interesting book talking about how certain molecules and groups of compounds changed history. A good book for those science geeks out there.

I also just read The Great Gatsby for school I didn't like it at first but the overall theme of the book is very intriguing and it portrays the 1920's well.

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason
Can't get into fiction books, never had.

Best books I've read recently is "The Art of War " by Sun Tzu and "Freakonomics" by Stephen Levitt(? I think that is his name).

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX
the necrosope series i love...

the cell, was actually a little disappointing IMHO, ..
Yeah you gotta love Harry Keogh....I still havent read The Touch.

Cell was awsome and ive read it atleast 5 times so far. Did you know their making it into a move and Eli Roth is directing.

Judge if you like vampires read the Anita Blake books.....alot of sex and violence.....but like i said the last two or three really fall off. like the author got lazy and decided to just Sexit up.

I loved wicked. It was very well written!

I recently read Napoleon's Buttons. It was a very interesting book talking about how certain molecules and groups of compounds changed history. A good book for those science geeks out there.
That sounds awsome pappy im def going to have to pick that one up, and you should read Son of a Witch. It picks up with Elphaba's son after all what happend in wicked.

Awsome Thread, keep suggesting those books.

OgreMkV

Father of Earth's Next Emperor
Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
I read about a book every two days, depending on the thickness of the writing (the writing, not the book).

Unfortunately, I haven't found any new books worth reading for several months.

If you like sci-fi mystery then Jack McDevitt Polaris is quite good.

Military sci-fi, David Weber is the master, but his latest ones are getting repetitive. Ringo is a close second and his series Through the Looking Glass, Vorpal Blade, and Maxonome Foe is excellent. Humor, hard science, action, etc.

Fantasy... Ringo's series of There will be Dragons, Emerald Sea, Against the Tide, and East of the Sun, West of the Moon are a cut above. This series is one of my top book series, right behind both of Jim Butcher's.

Speaking of which, The Dresden books are excellent, but the Fury books are amazing.

What else?

I also enjoy science discovery books. These aren't so much the drier science books and they aren't really biographies. They are more of the history of the discovery and some of the writers are quite entertaining.

I highly recommend Seven Daughter's of Eve (sorry, I'm too lazy to find the book and check the author)
----- This one is about the search for the mitochondrial DNA history of the human species

Genesis (Robert Hazen) - the search for the beginnings of life

Everything I've listed is at least 4.5 stars. Enjoy

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX
I keep telling myself to read that bkw but I seem to forget. Though I was a little apprehensive about if it would ruin wicked depending on how son of a witch turned out...
I enjoyed Wicked because it went the complete opposite of the movie, that IMO is what makes it a great book.

Sone of a Witch isn't as good, but it's still well written and has a good story.

jpittman_56

AC Members
Jan 13, 2008
Quakertown, PA
JudgeMax and I have similar taste in books, Stephen King is my favorite author, the all time best book of his is "The Stand" I've read it about 14 times, it's just the ultimate good VS evil book. The next would have to be the "Dark Tower" series, followed by the "Green Mile". In the winter I can go through a book a day so... I don't really remember all that I've read, but Koontz, Patterson, Grisham are the types of authors I gravitate toward.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I prefer the classics, myself. Though, I haven't reread any in awhile.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
At the moment I'm reading "War Made New," by Max Boot. Great survey on the interaction between warfare, technology, and society over the last 500 years.

:read:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store