Thinking about switching to salt...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Not sure I understand your question. Are you going to start filling with SW or FW? I would want enough water in the tank that I could at least put a PH in to start circulating the water if it will be a while before the tank is filled up.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Not sure I understand your question. Are you going to start filling with SW or FW? I would want enough water in the tank that I could at least put a PH in to start circulating the water if it will be a while before the tank is filled up.
It's filling with ro now, it should be about halfway full in the morning. So should I mix the buckets for the remaning watee with twice as much salt? Or just a normal amount, then siphon it out, mix and put it back in the tank?

If that makes any sense lol

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
You can do that. You'll probably need to make a few more adjustments until you get the SG right but there is nothing wrong with your plan. If you're shooting for 1.025, 30 cups of salt total should get you close. Let the SW and FW mix in the tank for a couple of hours before trusting your hydrometer/refractometer reading.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Lots of work today, got the tank filled, everything cleaned and set up. Just need to top the tank off, and check the sg in a few hours. I got a few pieces of lr at the lfs and some salt mix. I'm beat!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I've had those days. Definitely will wear you out!

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I got 3 pieces of lr, and I had to move the scape around and I just don't like it now. I'll try to make it look better tommorow. The skimmer is already pulling out some nasty stuff. Tank is around 79 degrees. Anything else I should do? How long should I leave the lights on?

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
Check your sg over the next day or so. As your temp and flow in the tank etc changes you could have some slight fluctuations. At least I know I did when I first set up/didn't have pre-mixed SW.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Getting there...

Tank how it sits now, sg is 1.024. It was 1.020 earlier today...so i'll be keeping an eye on it. Kinda meh on the scape...
Have seen some pink spot on some of the newer rocks, so i think some coraline is growing.

DSC_0804.JPG

One of the pieces of live rock from the lfs. Good amount of coraline right? And this pic is a bit deceiving, its alot more stable than it looks lol.
DSC_0807.JPG

Another piece from the lfs, is this a sponge?
DSC_0812.JPG
DSC_0809.JPG

Its hard to see, but there are a few small green dots/bubbles, any idea?
DSC_0805.JPG

DSC_0805.JPG DSC_0809.JPG DSC_0804.JPG DSC_0807.JPG DSC_0812.JPG

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I like the look of the scape, but, is there enough room for your hand to get between the side glass and the end of the rock work? If not cleaning the glass can be a chore.

I can't see too well to help with the ID of what is on your LR, maybe someone else will be able to help.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I like the look of the scape, but, is there enough room for your hand to get between the side glass and the end of the rock work? If not cleaning the glass can be a chore.

I can't see too well to help with the ID of what is on your LR, maybe someone else will be able to help.
The right side there is, the left is close to a wall, and you cant really get on that side of the tank, but i can get to most of it. I need to get another powerhead, and a small pump for water changes, because dumping buckets is no fun

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store