Too Much Green Algae: Tanganykian Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stylEmon

BLAM sucka BLAM
Mar 11, 2011
yuck, learned that one the hard way... tank has been, dare I say, spotless since i took em out. I only replaced a couple large ones.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
Ultra-Life for blue-green algea is a great product. I've used Ultra-Life for red algae on my reef twice, and now the blue-green algae product once on a cichlid tank. Two doses and the cyno is gone forever with NO fish losses. I know most prefer to not medicate, but this product has never failed me.

I second the python method, I have 8 tanks and like Pitt, think the python products (any of them) are the best invention since sliced bread. I use Seachem Prime to condition my water.

Light is the root of all evil when it comes to algae. Once you find the right amount/photoperiod, you should be good to go. Good Luck!

stylEmon

BLAM sucka BLAM
Mar 11, 2011
Thanks loco,

I feel like my photoperiod is very light... maybe i should experiment with a different bulb ???

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
Thanks loco,

I feel like my photoperiod is very light... maybe i should experiment with a different bulb ???
You've gotten great advice on this thread. Weekly water changes (I do 20% faithfully), lower your lighting period, manually remove any algae in the tank before it takes over and adding excel daily has worked for my 2 Tangy tanks. I still have algae in those tanks, but nothing I'm concerned about. If your bulb is old, I'd replace it.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
Thanks loco,

You've gotten great advice on this thread. Weekly water changes (I do 20% faithfully), lower your lighting period, manually remove any algae in the tank before it takes over and adding excel daily has worked for my 2 Tangy tanks. I still have algae in those tanks, but nothing I'm concerned about. If your bulb is old, I'd replace it. My tanks only receive 8 hours of light, as long as your plants are growing, 6.5 hours is fine.

Dagamoth

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Milford, OH
Real Name
Adam
If you start to get real algae (not cyno) you can always throw some tropheus in the tank, they'll gobble that right up all day long.

stylEmon

BLAM sucka BLAM
Mar 11, 2011
It's been three months and things have greatly improved. If anyone runs across this issue in the future, here is a run down of my process for my 75 gallon tank.
-I treated twice with Ultra-Life for blue-green algae, 2 months apart. It really helped to knock the cyano back to a manageable level.
-7 hour photo period. (even shorter at first, maybe as short as 5 hrs)
-30-40% regular what changes.
-I use carbon every-other time I clean my XP3.
-Down to only 3 big shells. (I think the dead fish in the shells where the cause)
-Clean the leaves of all my plants with my fingers, during water changes. (I noticed a slime build up, and like to nip it right away)
-Slightly cut down on the amount of food at each feeding. (Slightly)

It's not totally gone, but it's definitely under control. I mostly notice it on the java-fern that are up top, really close to the lamp. Also, the cyano really seems to rely on the other plants. I'll find it around the roots, or notice a little slime on the leaves. But it no longer grows on the back glass, or on the rocks, or on top of the sand.

These are all good signs, and I am happy to manage the tiny bit that I see. The key seems to be water changes, and shorter photo periods.
I hope this is helpful to others.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store