Water Change long overdue?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Finally you've offered some sensible and worthwhile advice. Nobody on here has any problem with people offering their point of view, thats what we're all here for. That point of view, however, needs to be put across in a sensible and polite manner. The problem people had with your earlier posts is that you were making fun of someones hard work without offering any intelligent reasoning to the contrary. I appreciate your opinion now you've made it properly, and I would tend to agree with a lot of what you've said. I think it is dangerous for a newbie to try this method and I've already made a comment about it being impossible without a sump. Other people have also questioned certain aspects of this method. However I think that there is nothing wrong with what noskimmer is attempting so long as the fish etc are in good health. The pictures I've seen show a healthy tank. After all, if people never went against the grain and tried something different, we would be without a vast majority of todays technology and knowledge. I'm sure the first aquarist's who suggested doing regular water changes were laughed out of the room.

Shark.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Ok...Opinions have been clearly stated. Lets not bring this thread into one that is rude is disrespectfull to the thread OP as there is absolutly zero need for it.

We all have our own ways of running our systems, however that does not mean that if we disagree with how someone else is running theirs, we have to be rude, show-off, leave disrespectfull comments.

Thanks

Niko

Last edited:

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Does this mean that this thread is finished? Can I speak up?

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Just ran the tests, the MH's have not come on in the display as yet and the MH's on the sump have been off for several hours, since about 7:30am (it is now 11am local time) So I will be curious to test the ph again. I also have some NSW (the stuff that I bought at the beginning of this thread) which I can use as a control test if you like.

Here goes.
Nitrate 0
PH around 7.8 - 8.0
Calcium 450

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Just a bit more

Aragonite composition is estimated to be around 97% calcium carbonate, < 1.5% magnesium carbonate, with traces of aluminium oxide (<0.15%), sodium chloride (<0.125%) and Strontium oxide (<0.125%). Strontium, an element similar in chemistry to calcium, is essential for the growth of coralline algae and coral skeletons. Magnesium, also taken up by corals and algae, is adequately replaced by gradual solubilisation of aragonite sand, so supplements are not required.
If you note from some of the pictures you will see a large amount of aragonite gradually disappearing prior to me adding additional aragonite. If you look closely at the sump design you will also notice that I intentionally add aragonite to the partitions which water has to move through, in effect blocking the flow of water until the previous partition raises enough to create enough water pressure as to force its way through the aragonite, acting partially as a filter and also increasing the rate at which it dissolves. This is done at two sections, the first and the one immediately after the refugem part. The fact that the water must travel up (and slowly due to the last one having a wider hence slower flow) it is prevented by gravity and low flow from the sand reaching the area where the heaters are located and hence the return pump.
It is also noted that pH is normally slightly depressed to 7.8-8.0 at night which is considered well within normal tolerances, since the above samples are effectively “night samples” it seems that the pH ok.

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Not sure I'm reading that right but wouldn't that potentially cause a flood?
Grins, Yes you are right! However check for the drilled safety holes which prevent this. All part of the initial design, as with the raised return etc. It may not make sense when you first look at it without understanding the principles that I have adopted, but it begins to pan out. The whole rational was to make it safe, even with higher flow as this sump is for two tanks, but the other tanks is still outside waiting for the front door (of the house) to be replaced.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store