Water Change long overdue?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I would love to sit with you in a coffee shop for like a week and pick your brain of the last 20 years of knowledge.. :D

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005

So looking at this shot you are only forcing the water thru that one little partition's sand on the right and a little on the left one too?

You aren't forcing any water thru that deep sand bed. Correct?

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Correct!

It is clearer on this picture, however you cannot see the section on the far right.

nycsicktank

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
nyc
noskimmer
did you ever get cyanobacteria? im having a huge battle with them. how much flow do you have in your sump? doesnt seem like you got a ph in there.

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
I have two ph's in the sump, but I have recently turned them off and a little cyano has appeared, but in saying that I did have a major problem in my display as well, I just changed the lights and that got rid of it. So I think it may be a combination of old lights (longer wavelengths as lights get older) and flow.

This would be controversial, as some people combat cyano with a shorter photo period, I didn't increase my photo period, just replaced my MH's and those other funny tubey lights and that resolved the issue. The thing that got me thinking was that the cyano would not appear where the tank was exposed to full natural sun from the window, and seemed to be more prevalent in the darker albeit low flow areas of the tank, this lead to a little research and as lights get older they don't hold their initial designed wave lengths for long and hence cyano loves longer wave lengths I figured I would just shorten it again. It didn't happen instantly but it defiantly got rid of it as well as a coral unfortunately as I should of raised the lights a little. The cyano appeared to get burnt.

The tank - well still no water change - and I think it's looking better than ever, but I will let you guys be the judges when I post some pictures up... soon to be a year now.

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Edge of the New Forest, Hampshire UK
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
I too agree with the light solution for cyano, i get small spots after about 6 months and if i leave it, it soon takes over the sand and rocks change the lights and it just recedes away.
Great tank NS. Big fan here.

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Well.. it is now just over one year!

Would have almost made a year with everything alive, but it had to be a leap year, because if it wasn't for that one extra day my last fish would have still been alive..... Ok, I'm kidding!

Got a long weekend, will post some pics and update, a couple of casualties (coral warfare and would you belive a Chromis! You can never get rid of those!)

**** work! Why does it consume so much time?

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
Well unfortunately the long weekend came and went.. and I managed to get the pic's but never got a chance to upload them.. Finally here they are. The short of it is that there still has not been any water change, one coral isn't doing the best but I think it might just be a cycle as it has done this a few times before. Everything else is doing fine minus the Chromis which suffered some type of injury. He was on the mend and one day I noticed that he had left for fishy heaven, never did find him. The sump is something else, just can't seem to take any photo's to do it justice. I think I have to try a bit harder, but it is truly fascinating.

I did post a question at one time asking if anyone knew what the maximum beneficial depth of a DSB would be, and even though mine (the sump) has worms and stuff right to the bottom and it is at least 10" means that I still don't know the answer to that question.

The coral I have in the sump has flourished and the mantis which just by chance I had caught is now a monster, but amazingly beautiful, he (or she) would have to be at least 3". The amount of life in the sump is amazing to say the least, not to mention that some corals have spontaneously began to appear, I don't really know what they are but are beautiful none the less.

Anyway no more rambling.. here is the pudding.

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
Very nice!

What is your substrate?

And give an updated pic of your sump, any kind of pic!

What does your trate measure?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store