What do you think?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
I actually think that this is a pretty good thread. There is the danger of flaming, but the wording was very careful.

It's good to put stereotypes to rest. I think that the best point that was made is how do you generalize about such a large and culturally diverse country.

Becky, I grew up in Quebec, depending on when you were there, there may have been no shortage of angry frenchmen. I hate to say it, but the calm reflection of age has allowed me to see that to an extent, their anger was, at one point, justified.

The only thing I wish they'd change about this great country of ours is the beer.

Yup, it's so much a part of our culture, it should be declared an essential service, then they should stop taxing it!:D

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
Originally posted by happychem
I actually think that this is a pretty good thread. There is the danger of flaming, but the wording was very careful.
I will admit, maybe it's because it's a site based in the US, that there hasn't been any flames.

It's just, after what I saw at my other site, I was afraid of seeing it here. I'm glad to see the members here have stuck to the topic, and not gone off to flaming about government.

People here are just nicer, I guess.

Please forgive me for saying it's a silly question. Pleeeaaaasssseeee????

;)

Lila

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
I understood what you meant, and yes, you're right that it's likely because the forum is based in the states. Which was part of my believing that the wording was well done:
Since a great majority of users of this forum are Americans...
It's also easy for Canadians and Americans to have more realistic views of each other since we live in close proximity to each other. It's easy for people from either country to meet each other, which helps to quell any stereotypes. That doesn't mean that they don't exist, just that it's easier to understand that not all Americans are ... or not all Canadians are ...

For people from more distant continents (whether it be geographically, culturally or economically) they don't see the people as much as they see the government's foreign policy.

Also, it's easier for one person to visit and do something stupid or stereotypical which reinforces the belief in that stereotype.:rolleyes:

If I had to base my perception of Americans on your current foreign policy, it would be far less rosy than understanding that it's an issue of the current administration and that it by no means reflects "what Americans are like".

I hope that makes sense...

So no, I don't forgive you. There's nothing to forgive.:)

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
Well put Happy. I think you should run for office :)

I also wanted to mention that my earlier post was not intended as kind of flame or generalization but more of past experiance. I grew up outside of Seattle and went to Canada a lot and love the country and the people. No matter where you go you find those that are just not happy and have to take out there fustrations somehow.

On an interesting note here in the Islands. I see quite a bit of the attitude towards Americans (mostly white) and I totally understand why. I myself prefer to work for locals than I do Hauli (white) mainlanders for the most part. Every time I have gotten screwed in getting paid, it has been from a mainlander. Not generalize again but I would say the chances are better at not getting paid from a mainlander than local. BTW, I am Hauli.

OK, that was a hijack kind of but thought it would be an interesting point about Americans from an American.

geoffgarcia

AC Members
Apr 22, 2004
Originally posted by Sensei_the_dojo
I was born in Massachusetts where everyone is in a big hurry for everything and the store clerks hardly bother to make eye contact with customers. Here in New Mexico life has a much more relaxed pace, and some grocers still carry the groceries out to your car for you.
I'd imagine this is a result of a particular store and sales staff than any regional phenom...I can have both the experiences you described in the same shopping complex here...

Sensei_the_dojo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
I lived 26 years in Massachusetts and I've now been 14 years in New Mexico with occasional trips back to Mass. I'll agree that there are certainly exceptions to the rule in both places. But in general, I find most southwesterners a lot friendlier and easier going than yankees.

My current wife is New Mexico born and bred. We honeymooned in Massachusetts in September of '02, and she was shocked at the way most (not all) store employees treated customers.

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
Well, i'm glad to see that the american users are quite worldy people. Canada is a large country. I have never been to any other province in Canada except mine, but have been down the west coast of the U.S. The east coast of Canada is just as mysterious to me as the east coast of the U.S.

Its amazing how similar Seattle is to Vancouver. I felt as if i was at home, especially because its the same time zone. Seattles a beautiful city!

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Originally posted by Reefscape
Well put Happy. I think you should run for office :)
Thanks, skip.

Could do the politic thing though, I think I'd offend too many people. I'm not very politically correct, or at least, not to the obsurd extreme that seems to be predominating these days. You can't even tell the straight truth anymore without sugar coating and twisting words very carefully to make sure that noone gets offended.

Not that I wouldn't make a great enlightened despot!:D

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
I think that because Canada is so close to the US we are pretty similar. The people are similar- except for the small-towners.... in my experience both in US and Canada its the small town people that tend to reflect/give the sterotypes. Not nessecarily uneducated, but less so than big city people i think.

There are definately cultural differences between Canada and the US.... but i think we are both pretty much 'melting pots' as it were. Each immigrant keeping thier culture yet being assimilated into a 'canadian' at the same time. However here in Vancouver it always surprises me how some people can live here for over 20 years and still know very little English.

Even when i'm in the states i cant tell where i am just by looking at the people.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store