What snails are these??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MamaLama

Registered Member
Feb 29, 2020
So I have a planted 15 gallon tank with many old freshwater fish and a few mystery snails. But I currently have maybe 10-15 of the most tiny sand colored 20200227_223019.jpg20200227_222958.jpgsnails hanging around. Some hitch hiking then dropping off the mystery snails but not bothering anything.

Does anyone know what kind they are??

Also note there have been no new plants or fish or snails added to this tank in 6+ months.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Looks like Malaysian Trumpet snails, probably hitchhiked on plants.

MamaLama

Registered Member
Feb 29, 2020
Looks like Malaysian Trumpet snails, probably hitchhiked on plants.
I'll do research but I dont know much about that species. Do you know if they will hurt anything in the tank?
Everything soil planted is pretty hardy my mysteries dont mess with them but the floating ones are meant to be treats and shade for the snails and fish so I dont mind if they eat them.

I'm honestly not sure how they got in the tank unless I just never noticed them in the larger tank. Maybe the botias were eating them?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I like some Malaysian trumpet snails in my tanks. The only problem with them is if you use hang-on-back style filters or any style pump, where they can get into the pump impellers.

Other than that, they're a wonderful indicator to if you're feeding too much. You'll get an abundance of them if you're adding too much food to the tank.

I made the mistake of taking in a few assassin snails a year or so ago, now I rarely see any Malaysians. Only a few assassins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store