What the heck is going on...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
Signus said:
looks like a member of the tapeworm family... notice the rough edges marking the proglottids
This was my first thought (edges, not rounded like a poop)---not sure of meds, hope the little guy does alright.

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
OHFunds said:
Ok - so what should I use - links to products are GOOD....
Try Hikari PraziPro (mixed with frozen food) or a medicated food with praziquantel and metronidazole. If you think you may be dealing with camallanus, then Praziquantel won't be effective...you'd want to go with a med like panacur (again mixed with food) and metro.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
If you think you may be dealing with camallanus, then Praziquantel won't be effective
Agreed, Bt I would also say it doesn't look like Camallanus (I think tht's mispelled, but then we all know what is meant)

I would go with Metrodanizole first, My reccomendation is buy Met powder (Seachem makes and sells it in small vials). dissolve a little in water and soak the food in it. If the met doesn't help, then I'd go with prazi in the tank water or in the food or both.

The primary reason I reccomend met first is it is cheaper and easier to find. Met kills most internals, and unless you can get a positive ID on the worm you have, you'll have to just use the trial and error.

Prazi and met are both really harmless to your fish and other tank life, so Using them won't give you a lot of side effects. Do not follow the instructions to dose metradanizole into your tank water. mix it into the food in heavy doses. It is next to impossible to overdose it, and it works infinately better if it is ingested.

Edit:: IF you decide it's simple constipation, Epsom Salt (Magnesium sulphate) will help. Be careful with it, it does increase hardness, but that can be remedied with water changes after the fish is better, and Platies don't mind hard water at all.

Dave

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
daveedka said:
Agreed, Bt I would also say it doesn't look like Camallanus (I think tht's mispelled, but then we all know what is meant)
I always stumble on the spelling, and didn't have time to check it out earlier. But it seems it is the correct spelling :D, and I found out the other med recommended: levamisole. I don't think it's likely camallanus either, but it's good to note that praziquantel is not effective against all parasites, and there are other choices if it (and/or metro) don't work.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
and I found out the other med recommended: levamisole.
If I understand it correctly that is the only med that will kill Camallanus effectively without risking your fish. I saw some pretty graphic pictures of Camallanus worms once, and the image is burnt deeply into my mind.
dave

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I say catch it and give it a gentle squeeze
OHFunds said:
You are the second person to tell me this....this cant be good for the fish.....

Actually, I had a betta who was all bound up with a large fuzzy looking ball stuck in his vent...poor thing. I watched him for days to see if he would pass it....he couldn't, so I finally put him in a bowl with just enough water for him to breath in and I VERY VERY gently squeezed his belly and the ball popped out. Poor fish had a gapping hole where it had been sitting but I kept him in the bowl and changed his water twice a day to keep it VERY clean (added aquarium salt)....... he healed up just fine. I still have him. I'm quite sure I would have lost this fella if I hadn't resorted to this.

Try soaking his food in garlic. If you buy crushed garlic and use the liquid from that it should work. Garlic is very good for getting rid of internal parasites and fish tend to like it as well, which makes it easy to feed. I had tried the medicated food for internal parasites a few times and the fish refuse to eat it. Soak their food in it then let it dry before you feed it. See if that works. Worth a try. :huh:

I have experience with camallanus nematodes....and lavamisol is the only thing that works for that....and you have to make sure you use the correct dose because the nasty beggers can develope a resistance to it if you don't use enough...then you're sunk ! That doesn't look like camallanus but it could be an internal of some type...trying the garlic first will avoid meds which you don't want to treat with if you aren't certain they need it.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store