What's your opinion on Glofish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jamie1972

AC Members
Aug 21, 2006
hellocatfish,

I just read your post.....Welcome! I agree with your point of view completely. God put animals on this earth for our food, clothing, and enjoyment. (I do not condone ANY mistreatment)

I happen to ENJOY my hot pink danios VERY much.

KUDOS....great post.

daayda3

AC Members
Sep 21, 2006
me too!
my red danios are my favorite fish in my tank:D :eek:

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
By the way.....the information I gathered on the net said that the DNA was from a coral....NOT a jellyfish. And the parent fish DID originate in a lab in Singapore.:read:

Taxonomically, very close.

Yes, danios are very tough little buggers.

hellocatfish

AC Members
Jan 27, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, USA
Thanks for the welcome. By the way, my post was not directed at any one person's post here on this topic. It was more to address a problem I have run into as a newbie (actually childhood aquarist returning to the hobby as an adult) of getting a bit of "attitude" from some people (in person as well as on forums) for either not having real plants in my tank or having a blue stone or something else "unnatural". Then I've gotten more than a few snide comments about the colored danios....the whole abomination of nature 'tude.

These may be the same people whose entire stock is tank-bred fish who have never seen a creek and wouldn't know a river stone from a glass one nor would the fish even care. I have a titanium implant in my jaw. That is completely unnatural. Am I an abomination of nature? Um...well maybe THAT is up for debate...LOL...but getting back to the fish...

So I just wanted to put it into perspective. The Glofish are Danios. Just of a different color. That is the only difference at this point--their color. A good number of the colors of respected and long-accepted fish do not exist in nature either. None of these fish should ever be introduced into the wild. It would be inhumane to them and to the environment.

When someone first got the idea to take a fish out of a natural body of water and have it live with them in a container, that is when mankind first defied nature. Every thing we've done ever since has just been a matter of degree of defiance. Some humane, some not. Save the vehemence and protests for the inhumane things we do that cause true misery and suffering.

jamie1972

AC Members
Aug 21, 2006
WHEW! Now that was a mouthfull! Good thing you have a SUPERJAW!

Have a great weekend......think I'll go home and watch my abominations. :dance2:

CagIII

AC Members
Sep 10, 2006
so are glofish pretty hardy? If they are dyd or whatever and live are they fragile? whats the opinons on this?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I enjoy glofish as much as I would enjoy genetically altered purple, blue or green humans.

Think about it.

:read:

johnlarson66

These Pandas Rock
Sep 25, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.facebook.com
Real Name
John Larson
I enjoy glofish as much as I would enjoy genetically altered purple, blue or green humans.

Think about it.

:read:
As long as the humans are not dyed, I am all for it.

There should be a ban on all dyed humans!

bghill

AC Members
Jan 18, 2007
Vancouver, BC
After reading this forum I just had to run out to my LFS to see if they had any. I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

I found what the LFS was calling "Neon Zebra Danios", selling for $2.49 each CAD. They looked like a pinkish-reddish regular Zebra Danio. The LFS clerk thought they were dyed but also had never heard of Glofish.

He also stated that they have had this batch for a few weeks and none have died. They had about 100 small ones in the tank with regular Zebras. Hard for me to beleive that none have died since their arrival at the LFS.

As far a buying any, you bet. I am making room in my tank ang would certianly buy some. A few in each colour would be great!

EMTOkami

AC Members
Sep 14, 2008
Watauga, TN
I happen to really like my 2. I plan on getting a few more. The only place around me to get them is unfortunatly Wal-Mart. And from what I've saw yes they are just as hardy as a regular zebra danio.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store