Which do you prefer? Bettas or Gouramis.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which do you prefer? Bettas or Gouramis.

• Betta fish

Votes: 69 60.5%
  • Gouramis

Votes: 45 39.5%

• Total voters

I Ate A Cake

AC Members
Nov 2, 2009
Colorado
To me, it depends. I do like bettas for their personality, and some of the morphs/colors. However, I think gourami's are gorgeous sometimes, although I have not had a lot of success with them.

lilcavy2

AC Members
Mar 3, 2009
Tampa, FL
both types have a lot of personality, but the betta seems significantly smarter. maybe because he only interacts with the people outside of the tank, he makes more effort to communicate. his mood seems very apparent most of the time, ranging from mad to content to excited and almost "happy".

much of this is most likely projection. but all the gouramis seem to communicate is their desire to be fed.
:iagree:
I have two blue gouramis that are kinda fun to watch if they're chasing each other all around the tank, but besides that all they really do is beg for food.
My crowntail betta fish on the other hand? WOW!! What a personality! He's the only fish I've ever seen that loves to interact with me. When he's in his bowl, I can put the bowl on my lap and "play" with this fish. Of course you can't touch the fish, but he thoroughly inspects the hands resting on the outside of the bowl, "rubs" against the bowl where there is clothing, alternately stalks or zips away from or slowly considers a finger slowly moving. And then there's the cute wiggling when it's food time. And catching this fish for cleaning is a snap, he'll swim right into the little cup. :eek:mg: Try that with a gourami!

Hairechest

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
New Jersey
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Wes
Betta are so unique. Each one is different. Some are affectionate and some are shy. I had one friend who has one who spits gravel at the glass when he wants to be fed (sucker!) They "dance" when hungry, flare when mad and sulk when their water hasn't been cleaned or they are bored.

My longest lasting one - 5 years and three moves. I breed for fun and enjoy seeing them develop from eggs to adults. Some are very personable. I can never find female gourami in LF stores, so they are pretty, but not very accessible.

Whatever you choose - enjoy it!

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
Both. I have a male n female Opaline Gourami and a little boy Betta, I couldn't choose one over the other...
Actually, our Betta Vamp lives with our boy Opaline, hes a good fish. The girl Opaline went medieval on his butt and kicked him out, poor little thing. He survived horrible wounds and made a fast recovery with my Livebearers.

MGDMIRAGE

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Like them both but i'm going with Betta, slightly less boring :)

boet

AC Members
May 27, 2007
Alaska
Looks like I am late with this vote but I think I vote Gourami although I love my betta lupin. I have a pair of Samurai (cousin of chocolate) Gourami and a breeding pair of the Dwarf Gourami. I have to say my original color male Dwarf has the most personality with me and the other residents - LOL. And the female is outstanding with her silvery color that changes to gold, platinum, etc.. depending on the light.

Currently I am growing out cute little dwarf babies in a nursery tank :)

My male red Betta "Lupin" has lots of personality too and has his own planted 5 gallon as he does not do well in my communities.

Even though I voted I have to say that this is like choosing between dogs and cats. Oh, I definitely would like to try one of the wild non standard Betta's someday!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store