White patch on ember red tetra

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Biofilms are interesting things, I don't know a ton about them. They can include "micro critters" so, yeah, there's likely yummy stuff. I don't think I've even noticed tetras eating snails but as long as she spits out the shell I think it's fine. She sounds like a fun fish

mommy2girls!

AC Members
Jul 31, 2022
I don’t think her mouth is big enough for the shell. She just nipped at it a few times and then kinda slurped it out like a noodle. Was a bit horrifying to watch. Like a car wreck where it’s awful but you can’t look away.
those micro critters must be why my carnivorous assassin was caught eating it too. I thought it was more fungus. That’s why I’m here-I’m learning so much. Thank you

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Biofilms are more like layers of living stuff. Some bacteria, some "critters", some algae-like stuff, etc.

Some can wall themselves off from other things happening in your tank...some can wall off diseases too, in, or out...until the wall is broken...& that can be why sometimes all heck breaks out for "no reason" in our tanks...

That pretty much sums up my shallow knowledge of biofilms but research them, they are awefully cool & interesting. If you find good articles please share them, I'd love to learn more!

mommy2girls!

AC Members
Jul 31, 2022
Yay the white spot is completely gone. It took quite a while for it to completely disappear. But she is all better! No meds just clean water and a little extra love 💕

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
WOW! Is it now when I get to say "I told you so" (lol, eventually, for whatever reason?)? It took a long time of all of your hard work & water changes. But it sounds like you & your fish got there! & that's what counts! Way to go!!

I'm very happy your fish got better with just water changes mostly. It's not always so easy to do, but really, WCs can work miracles as you've seen....with your extra love & care, you did it!! I hope you don't have to do it again soon but now you know what it can take & you're up for it!

If you can post a pic, we'd love to see your ember tetra all better!

You started off at almost at the new year & 3.5 months later, success!! Your patience & hard work paid off with fish health...A wonderful goal you achieved! Whee!

mommy2girls!

AC Members
Jul 31, 2022
8A02F1F4-7F67-43A1-8F40-9718841C7F92.jpeg
if you look closely on the wood right below her you can get a sneak peak of sammi the assassin.

And in this next picture you can see the baby right by the rhizome of the anubias. I’m pretty sure it’s a girl but she is still small and skittish so it’s hard to tell still
CA40F3B4-6F79-469B-808F-4F0F87B24D0F.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thank you! I love the peekaboo ember baby & your other ember looking healed. & a cardinal? tetra (or neon?) in the background (last pic? )? Hard to tell with just a nose or so...But it's looking great!! Now just keep it up!!!

mommy2girls!

AC Members
Jul 31, 2022
I have embers and neons. My neons have spawned several times but to no avail. I didn’t think my embers eggs would survive with all the egg eaters in there but much to my surprise I found this little one during a water change. Solo survivor. Completely missed it. The bigger it gets the more muted its colors are (meaning a girl). My male daddy ember is bright orangish red. I’m not trying to breed because I don’t have space for more. It’s still kinda cool, you know, life and all 🥰 I love babies

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Me too! I was thrilled my bronze corys had a survivor fry. My husband saw it first at almost a "junior' 1/2 inch size. He is still less shy than the others. Our tanks are always having things going on if we just pay attention!

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Kind of late to comment but tetra will from time to time scrape themselves if you have any hardscape in the aquarium - not frequently but now and then my caridnals would get a scratch; fungus will form on the wound and when the wound heals it will be gone (i.e, no treatment is needed). Naturally there are some diseases that look like fungus as well as other causes so if it spreads then it might become a concern.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store