Who has a pond?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snowgrrl83

AC Members
Dec 22, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It looks poretty wuiet here in the pond section. I was just wondering if any of you have ponds here?? What do you keep in your pond? How big is it? If you don't have a pond, are you planning on setting one up??

I want to know about the outdoor ponds out there!

teresa33

AC Members
Jun 6, 2006
I have three 100 gallon ponds. One has 2 fantails which i have had for three years. (I live in zone 6). The other has 2 fantails and 2 shubunkins. Last one is empty but not for long, i plan on adding 3 comets. I have a filter with uv light to control the algea. Works great! Cover them in the fall with netting to keep the leaves out to maintain water quality.

Bobnova

Apr 11, 2006
I have a 50g at the moment, in the back of my car with spiderwebs in it...
When i have my own place it'll get buried, filled, and have goldfish in it, as the place i'm buying comes with four or five goldfish in a 10-15g tank, no good!

50g still won't be enough, but it'll beat 10-15g for sure!

flyfly

follow me on twitter @flyfly_mackay
Jan 21, 2005
Portland, OR
www.myspace.com
I have a 70g container pond built out of a rubber made water trough. I have one umbrella plant in it, water hyacinth, and a water lily (I dont remember the name but it is a yellow, hardy lily) I am also experimenting with different aquarium plants.

as far as equipment Im running an allglass 300w heater and a small pump that pushes up to 150 gph on about the middle setting with two large sponges attached to the prefilter.

right now I am keeping a pair of golden rams in it, hoping they start breeding...

one day Ill own a house and let the real fun begin :cool:

Last edited:

Koilady

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Hi There. I'm from Southwestern Ontario Canada and have 13 ponds in my yard where I have been breeding Koi and Goldfish for 24 years.

Yours Koily, Lorraine

luvthesea2

Registered Member
Jan 6, 2007
Rochester NY
I have a 100 gallon preformed pond built into a crumbling rock wall. Honestly it was made mostly for the plants- its a jungle of umbrella palm, imperial taro, Hardy water lilies (1000 petals-white, and Sioux-changeable), globeflower, monkeyflower, lizardstail, miniature cattail, azolla, anacharis, cardinalplant, water clover, water hyacinth, sweetflag and duckweed. We divide the plants every spring, and give away lots of plant babies. Since the pond is so small we can't overwinter fish, so we just get 3 baby koi or comets in the spring, and give them away at the end of the season (considerably larger). We don't use a regular filter beacuse the plants do most of the work, it's run by a simple pump with sponge prefilter and bell fountain, and we do regular water changes. Also, the wildlife loves it! Frogs and toads breed regularly in it, dragonflies have appeared from nowhere, and we make sure to not add any chemicals other than water conditioner due to the fact that birds, chipmunks, squirrels, and even the neighbors cat like to drink from it. If we had a bigger yard we would definitely have a bigger pond, as it has been extremely rewarding since we built it.

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
I got 2 ponds, 1 spills into the other. Combined they are just over 1,000 gallons. I got 14 comets and 2 koi.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store