who has the oldest fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
i think its based on like how big the fish gets, i doubt a neon tetra lives TOO long, and dont rams only live 3 years? well those iradecent sharks in my signature are about 30, i wonder how big they get in the wild

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Actually, Cardinals/Neons can live about 10 years. Danios are also a long living fish. On the other side of the coin, there are also some rather large fish which dont live for that long.

I'm not sure its a matter of the size of the fish, as much as it is the genetics of it all. There is definately science behind things, and maybe someone can give a better explaination.

dwf73

Gold Dragon
Oct 29, 2003
brooklyn, NY
Visit site
The guy I used to buy fish from had an Asian aro in the store that he claimed was his father's before he owned it, something like 50 years old. I have heard of cases where they do live a very long time, but if this guy is telling the truth then this is surely the oldest that I have witnessed. Personally I have had mine for 6yrs so far, still going strong- Ill keep my fingers crossed for 50. That would be strange to have a fish that outlived its owner, huh?

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
i think koi/goldfish live longer because they are coldwater

SBee

AC Members
Feb 19, 2003
Delta, BC, Canada!
I have five neons that I've had for 6 years...
and 3 danios that I've also had for 6 years...they look REALLY bad though, and have recently started to die off (I had 8 or 9)...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store