Why are my bettas dying??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PhaiFan

AC Members
Oct 10, 2017
What filtration is running on the tanks? It's strange to have nitrite show up in a cycled aquarium. What do you mean by 'too acidic'? Bettas are tolerant of extremely low pH water, as in 5.0 -6.0, so I can't imagine what would happen that you'd need to buffer it.
I rarely have nitrite/nitrate issues. My large aquarium is stable and no issues there. The bettas are in 1.5 gallon cubes with small Whisper filters. I have been doing partial water changes weekly, but every couple of weeks I rinse the gravel. I do retain some of th old water for the beneficial bacteria. Doing this, it is rare for me to have nitrite issues. I was just pointing out what I did on the rare occasion that it happened.

As for the PH, I know they are supposed to be tolerant of low readings, but if it gets much below 6, they act like they are uncomfortable...laying around with their fins slightly clamped. As soon as I put a pinch of baking soda in their to buffer it, they're fine. I don't quite know why, but it works.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Any idea what's causing the pH to shift? With regular water changes, and your readings, there really shouldn't be serious swings unless something in the tank is chewing through the buffer.

For cleaning the substrate, what's causing enough waste to warrant heavy cleaning? I have several tanks with more fish, and there's never been enough waste buildup on the substrate to need more than cleaning with a siphon.

PhaiFan

AC Members
Oct 10, 2017
Any idea what's causing the pH to shift? With regular water changes, and your readings, there really shouldn't be serious swings unless something in the tank is chewing through the buffer.

For cleaning the substrate, what's causing enough waste to warrant heavy cleaning? I have several tanks with more fish, and there's never been enough waste buildup on the substrate to need more than cleaning with a siphon.
No idea why the PH would drop like that. I just stay on top of it and test often.

There isn't a tremendous amount of waste. I use a siphon on my large aquarium. Honestly didn't think about using one on these little betta cubes. I'll have to go to the pet store. The siphon I use is pretty big, but I think they make smaller ones .

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There are definitely smaller siphons., or you can use just the tubing.

Have you tested the water after it's sat out overnight or under aeration for a few hours? Just wondering if your base pH is lower than 8.0.

PhaiFan

AC Members
Oct 10, 2017
On a more positive note, here are my two favorite bettas, Helios and Kal-el. They are both doing really well.20171010_205236.jpg 20171009_185916.jpg

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Hmm, no answer on the actual cause, but one thing that jumped out at me is that water doesn't contain the beneficial bacteria. As long as you keep the surfaces damp you can change all the water in the tank with no loss of the bacteria because they live on surfaces. So this habit of washing everything may be an indirect factor. If you are washing the items in anything but tank water or declorinated water, or scrubbing them to vigorously you may be causing a mini cycle each time you do a more thorough clean of the tanks.

It is wise to clean, but unless there is algae build up or a thick layer that comes off easily the surfaces other than the viewing windows should be left alone. Siphon out as much waste as you can when you change water, or even whenever you see it, but don't scrub stuff sparkling clean.

Sometimes the biofilm does build up to levels beyond our liking, and it is ok to scrub some of that off, but be sure you don't also mess with the filter at the same time, so that you don't upset the system to much. Change filter pads or do a little heavier cleaning but not both at the same time because that helps keep some surfaces undisturbed so the beneficial bacteria remain in sufficient numbers for your tank's needs.

Also stress is somewhat cumulative. For a fish having the water level go down to where their fins stick out slightly once or twice a week in tank is less stressful than being netted constantly. The fish may be fine most of the time, but you never know when the cumulative and an additional scrape by the net allows such an attack as seen in your troubled betta to get started.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tifftastic

Abnormalangel29

Registered Member
Nov 29, 2017
I realize that you didn't get any useful replies but I'm wondering if you have figured it out? I've had three bettas die exactly how yours are and it's very upsetting for me. I try and take the best care of them, they are in heated and filtered 3 G tanks and one was in a 5 G community with 6 tetras and a dwarf frog. In 6 hours (while at work) I had a severe case of fin rot pop up from a new betta and within hours of being home it slowly suffered and died. I want to make it clear that as soon as I saw the first little sign of the fungus absolutely nothing from any tank came in contact with another, not a net and not a single peice of gravel or drop of water as far as I knew and now a week and a half later my last betta of three is now showing signs... I don't want this to happen again.

PhaiFan

AC Members
Oct 10, 2017
I still don't know what the problem is, but (knock on wood), it hasn't happened since I first posted this. It is upsetting when that happens, though. I care about my fish! The only issue I have right now is algae, but I can deal with that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store