Why hasn't anyone bred a smaller goldfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
In all the years of breeding these fish, they have created some pretty wild extremes in shapes and such. How come they have not miniaturized them some so they can be kept in smaller aquariums? Any ideas?

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Well, fancies generally end up substantially smaller full grown than comets or commons do, so in a sense, they have. I know what you mean though, and there are indeed some varieties that exhibit smaller adult size than others, namely celestials, bubble eyes, tosakin, and pearlscales. Another reason they did not actively pursue such breeding projects may be cultural. In Asia, goldfish are thought to bring wealth and prosperity. To that end, they were bred to look either overtly like money (ranchu), like mythical beasts (lionheads), or like fat, happy, prosperous fish (most of the rest). Breeding them small may have seemed for all intents and purposes like breeding them for less prosperity. I'm just spitballing, but it sounds like it could make sense lol.

I was at pestmart yesterday and they had sarasa comets that only got to be 6" and only needed a 20 gal tank.

Anything to sell people fish, have them die and them sell them new fish. gug.

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
I did not know that they symbolized wealth! Neat info.

And the term "spitballing" is a hoot! I've never heard that one!

It would be neat to have smaller ones, like 3-4 inches. I'm thinking of this because I am setting up a 20 gallon now. I still have the 180 to set up and I'll put goldies in there.

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
I think it's totally cool that they are large fish. I am planning a 180 set up with them.

It's just that they are depicted every darn tiny tank package and so many think you can actually keep them in a 2.5 gallon or a 5 gallon because that's the picture on the box!

My background is in dogs and human's have selectively bred for smaller versions of many breeds - schnauzers, poodles, pinchers, - to name a few. It seems that the goldfish would be a good candidate.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Petsmart is lying to you. Never trust their labels at all. That probably meant up to 6" NOW and they only need a 20 FOR NOW.

I had heard they had come up with a smaller breed.

It wouldn't be hard. You just breed the smallest individuals, but you would need a huge breeding operation to do it, as well as a HUGE founding population to maintain genetic variability while decreasing the size (VERY hard to do).

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
It took a long while for dogs to get bred down to miniature sizes, so it may also take a while for fish to get miniaturized as well. It may not take as long, but it won't be as simple as creating color morphs IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store