why isn't my duckweeed growing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ella_R

AC Members
Jul 20, 2020
Redlands, California
Real Name
Ella
ok, this might sound ridicules, but my duckweed refuses to grow! i wanted to start growing some for my goldfish, with no luck so far. i have some duckweed in an old concrete mixing tub, thats about 20/ 30 gallons? im not sure. at first i thought that the plants didnt have enough nutrients, so i added some old tank water. a week or so later i decided to add some soil to the water, because i heard its a great way to add nutrients. well, it did not work. the plants are alive but just, not growing? its been about a month since i first started this project. could i have some advise? at first i had a bubbler in the water, but i took it out because it was agitating the water too much.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I assume the tub is outside? Could there be some kind of bird that is eating it? An airstone would indeed impede growth. You don't know what is in the soil, I would take that out, just put old tank water in there. If that has enough nitrate in there it will grow. But you probably will have to keep doing water changes with old tank water.

Reactions: ella_R and Sprinkle

ella_R

AC Members
Jul 20, 2020
Redlands, California
Real Name
Ella
the tub is in the garage, so nothing is eating it. i scooped out the plants and rinsed out the bin, i than filled up the tup with tank water, i added the plants back in, hopefully ill see some new growth!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Geez, I can't imagine it not growing like gangbusters. Mine likes flow & not so much indoors. I think TL has hit it with the lighting or maybe ferts.

I'm fairly new to CA (9 years), where are Redlands in relation to SF? I'm in the East Bay...Too much light?

ella_R

AC Members
Jul 20, 2020
Redlands, California
Real Name
Ella
It is a Fluorescent hood light. I have used it with other plants before, it works fine but its not amazing, im pretty sure it should be enough for duckweed tho?

ella_R

AC Members
Jul 20, 2020
Redlands, California
Real Name
Ella
Gangbusters, Haha. Redlands is somewhat close to La. I have the duckweed growing indoors, as my backyard is completely full sun. i also heard duckweed does not like the water surface moving much?

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Welcome to the "I even kill duckweed" club!

Yeah I struggle with it too. But I kill any plant that touches air apparently...

I've tried no flow, with flow, lots of light, no light, sunlight, with lid, without lid, clean water, old tank water, liquid ferts, you name it. It magically disappears. Even in containers without fish or snails in them. Just poof, gone.

?‍♀

This is currently my pathetic attempt at it in my 20 gallon.
20200809_012342.jpg

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
It is a Fluorescent hood light. I have used it with other plants before, it works fine but its not amazing, im pretty sure it should be enough for duckweed tho?
What makes you sure about that? What type of bulbs, and how many Watts?
I would just put it out in the sun.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store