why isn't my duckweeed growing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I use a few Mosquito Bits (like BT dunks but tiny) to keep eggs & larva from hatching & molting in my "pond" pot. They don't harm fish or other critters.
We have mosquito control boards that give away mosquito fish around here. Maybe you do too?

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
Welcome to the "I even kill duckweed" club!

Yeah I struggle with it too. But I kill any plant that touches air apparently...

I've tried no flow, with flow, lots of light, no light, sunlight, with lid, without lid, clean water, old tank water, liquid ferts, you name it. It magically disappears. Even in containers without fish or snails in them. Just poof, gone.

?‍♀

This is currently my pathetic attempt at it in my 20 gallon.
that looks like something is eating the leaves

Reactions: Sprinkle

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I use a few Mosquito Bits (like BT dunks but tiny) to keep eggs & larva from hatching & molting in my "pond" pot. They don't harm fish or other critters.
We have mosquito control boards that give away mosquito fish around here. Maybe you do too?
Mosquito dunks or chips or bits or sone other chiten inhibitor will stop the mosquitos surviving. Most fish that can get the larvae into their mouths (we have used pencil fish so they don't have to be big) will eat them.. but watch the temperature for the fish .

And duckweed will not grow in all water conditions, so you might want to try a different floating plant, unless it has to be duckweed.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't think goldfish are all that fussy about plants they'll eat, lol. Is it salvinia that has "hairy" leaves? That might be less tasty. Other than duckweed I have had less luck with other floaters...probably because of the duckweed.

An interesting side note, the bottoms of my DW turned red in higher light. I thought it was a special kind for a few days, wishful thinking...

ella_R

AC Members
Jul 20, 2020
Redlands, California
Real Name
Ella
pretty sure salvinia is the "fuzzy" looking plant! i have been wanting some, but i decided to start out with duckweed because its pretty cheap and easy to get ahold of. i love how floaters look but i havent had much luck with them, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store