You will not believe this: Arapaima Gigas in our stormdrain

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Sounds like a plan man. Is a thai sized man hole small or big?
I would not even be sure if an average American 10 year old would fit in there...lol

Mr.T. Is doing well, waiting for his prawns. Changing water now. Turns green fast and I prefer to see him coming for his food. Beats loosing your fingers or getting a heart attack...hehe.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Dude, **** good on ya for taking all the time and effort with this arapaima. Pretty sweet deal.

:cheers:

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I would not even be sure if an average American 10 year old would fit in there...lol

Mr.T. Is doing well, waiting for his prawns. Changing water now. Turns green fast and I prefer to see him coming for his food. Beats loosing your fingers or getting a heart attack...hehe.
lol, average american sized 10 year old varies depending on city/state pretty easily. Up where my cousins live, a 10 year old is probably around 115lbs but where I used to live a 10 year old is probably 80lbs.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
lol, average american sized 10 year old varies depending on city/state pretty easily. Up where my cousins live, a 10 year old is probably around 115lbs but where I used to live a 10 year old is probably 80lbs.
That's still 10 to 15lbs more than where I live. My 6 yr old weighs in at about 45lbs I guess...(20kg)...
Lots of fish and rice, water instead of softdrinks..meat as well, but far less than in western countries.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Well, working on the plans. Today my contractor came in with an engineer. I know him, does some work for my company as well, but did not know his background.
Anyhow, my contractor is almost finished with draft plans. Bits and pieces I heard today already. Going to be water-proof concrete, so liner might not be necessary. Also, it will be a single pour concrete build. So there will not be any trouble with leaking seams. Corners will be 45' angles, makes for stronger build and...by accident, Pima's don't like corners, ideal.
Still dubbing and doubting about the drain. One thing I have in mind is to put it deeper and hava a drain pump emptying a collection well at the front of the house. Will see later when plans firm up.
Engineer will check and approve on everything, so structurally we will be ok.

Mr.T is doing just fine. Too fine I'd say, our house keeper panicked lunchtime, telling me he was sick and not eating. Turns out, over the last 1 & 1/2 day he'd gone through almost a kilo of prawn, so his second feeding he just ignored the food. Lol...evening before going home he was very eager coming up to his feeding spot and looking and waiting. Finished the remaining 5 prawns and looked very happy.

Changed a bit in the circulation, spraying some water around for more aeration and ventilation. Overall going well. Now curious on the price for the pond. Then get approval I hope...

Cheers,
Luc

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Today's good news... Mr.T, for lack of prawns, started to eat dry foods.
Went out to get larger pellets, see how he likes those... That will save a lot if he goes for it. Pay about 65c p/kilo.. Compare that to the 6 US p/kilo for prawn...

There is also some bad news...delaying the pond at home. Too expensive for now...
Not too bad news, started planning on a better pond at work. For the coming weeks no problem in his current one, will start digging soon on his bigger one. Should be able to get about 30x15ft. Deepest point about 6 foot.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Gulping down the pellets...then after a while spitting out again. But continues to gulp them down again, so looks ok for now. Slowly disappearing. Hope that will keep him happy. Tons of savings in food. Mix half cheap and half koi pellets and he gets reasonable diet.
Mix in 500 small feeders every week and I am pretty sure he gets enough.
For treats every now and then a kilo of prawns.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Luc, you'd be better off and so would the arapaima with a round pond. They tend to have problems in corners. The person you need to talk to on MFK is JohnPTC. He has kept arapaima for quite a few years very successfully. For your filtration, go to tadege.com and check out their wakin filter. It is very easy to construct and is what I will be using on my 4300 gallon tank whenever I get it finished. I'm also going to use that filter on my 1500 gallon outdoor pond.

A 3-4 meter round pond 1-1.25 meters deep would suffice for quite a few years.

As I mentioned in my pm reply to you, arapaima readily take commercial fish chow. That's pretty much the only route to go to get pellets big enough to satisfy its appetite without going broke. A balanced fish chow diet removes any need for live/frozen prawns/fish, etc.

http://youtu.be/gbePqQPwISg

http://youtu.be/r_wkIgq2Swg

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Hello Pete,

Good to see you back on the forum...been a while, can imagine your schedule with the baby coming...good luck to all of you.

Have indeed figured to check with JohnPTC, he gave some basic info, but so far, nothing much I got from MFK. Would have figured much more response, but ok, we keep both sides going and might slowly pickup in the replies.

Anyhow, for the pond, I've read indeed that round is better.
He is in his temporary sandbag pond, planning on the bigger one.
The pond will be liner, so it's easy to round the corners.
My plan is to have a planted area on one side, where the water is flowing through the roots of the plants. Thinking of course gravel, with plants initially in nets/pots that allow the roots to establish through the gravel.
Water then flows from a large spray bar in the plantbed and keeps everything just under a couple of inches of water. Flows over a 'dam' into the main pond. This bed would be about 1 x 4 meters, with the main pond being 6-7 x 4 meters.
I will use a truck liner similar to what I have now, with fitted metal rings so I can keep the liner in place.
Back and sides will have a meter high steel-net/mesh-wired fence to hang orchids and other plants, while at the same time keeping the fish in.

This morning I installed a quick'n dirty filter. Just inlet at the top, outlet at the bottom and PVC frame with mosquito-net and tieraps. Filter floss on top, cover and clamps, and to my amazement, once startet with a pump, it keeps running by itself even though the inlet is about 1 meter above the level of the pond.

Will post some pictures later at home. Still need bio-balls to fill up the bottom-section, but this looks promising and the next one sure will be the filter you talked about. Great way of cleaning and amazing amount of surface-area.

Anyhow, back to work...so far so good.
Cheers,
Luc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store