Zoological Aquascaping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Alright, I'll probably stick with the unmodded filter for a while then, lol.

Stocking plans include limpets, chitons, anthopleura spp., sea squirts, and other anemones/sessile inverts in general near my area. I'll start off with anemones though.

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Although the tank's currently cycling with the Aquaclear unmodded, I checked out this link and it looked pretty interesting. Only problem is I don't have aquarium silicone. I'm wondering if I can hold the grids using clips or something, and I'm also wondering where I would put the Aquaclear filter sponge. Currently I have the macroalgae in a separate Tupperware with holes cut into the sides to let water flow through and it's clipped to the inner side of the tank.

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Lol I'm just kidding about needing the silicone, because today I got rather creative with building a makeshift sump out of very simple stuff and so what I did was get some soft plastic mesh (I used this for growing java moss) and somewhat "rolled" it into the little chamber for the sump. To give it shape, I took the bottom part of the thing that carries the filter's sponge etc and pushed it back down again. The only problem was that the mesh would unnecessarily cover up one of the sides of the filter/refugium so after these were taken, so I cut off the mesh on the backside so that the algae could photosynthesize. (they do it really well already.) I also crammed the filter's original sponge into the left chamber, next to where the tube is so the bacteria would have some extra space. The tank's near a western facing window, and so it gets more afternoon sun. The best thing about it is there's more space and if algae can, they'll probably take root in the mesh. I'll weed out the best macroalgae for the refugium later (once again, preferrably the more "primitive" types would be a bonus) but until that I still have some in the Tupperware containers.

Oh, and also, I realized that the anemones I kept when I were younger were most likely Aiptasia Californica aka a really hardy and sometimes pesty anemone lol.

IMAG0010.jpg IMAG0011.jpg IMAG0012.jpg IMAG0013.jpg

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Bump because I don't think anyone's checking out this thread anymore and because I added this really great looking macroalgae from the tidepools (Scinaia Confusia or Ahnfeltiopsis Linearis I think?) to the refugium. The aquarium gets good light (not too intense, the tank still stays in the 70's-80's) from the afternoon sun for a few hours but the algae sure pumps out a lot of oxygen for such a short time. Here's a pic of it pearling, sorta.
IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Take note of the number of views the thread gets. It'll tell you if how often it's being looked at.

That's an interesting looking macro.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Nice mod but not sure about using duck tape (maybe that's not what that is).

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Ive checked up on it a few times and have been keeping an eye on it :) i agree, nice mod ive seen a few mods but none that looked like this. Nice pics :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Thanks, guys. The thread's views are waaaay more than the posts, lol. The duct tape isn't touching the water at all, which is very good. A problem I'm starting to have is slime algae growing on the bare bottom and it's starting to cover the macroalgae!!! What'd be the most cost effective method of taking care of this?

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Tank's cycled, added chaeto, bumped salinity to 1.026-1.029 ish, mostly got rid of dinoflagellate problem, have some anemones and turban snails but will add other species later as I continue my paleontological research, etc etc.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Tank's cycled, added chaeto, bumped salinity to 1.026-1.029 ish, mostly got rid of dinoflagellate problem, have some anemones and turban snails but will add other species later as I continue my paleontological research, etc etc.
Got some pics of those anemones and turban snails? Id like to see them :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store