Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. jwddboy

Tank Balance

It's often considered a personal preference... However also consider the weight of the water. Someone once worked out on here the exact pressure exerted on the glass of the aquarium to be amazingly high. Tanks are designed to be level, if they are at an angle, you'll get a higher pressure on one...
  2. jwddboy

stocking schooling fish

Well the bigger the quantity, the happier they will be. Generally (this means more than six is good). However - you can mix with same size shoaling fish and get some good results. Generally if the fish are the only ones in there, or they are outnumbered/outsized by others in the tank they will...
  3. jwddboy

potential ICH!!

One very small spot doesn't sound like an outbreak. Keep an eye on it but dont medicate! Especially dont mix-medicate unless you have a particular reason to. If your water spec is good then they'll be healthy enbough to survive if the condition worsens but honestly most fish get small single...
  4. jwddboy

new set up

Yeah agreed with above. If this happens it can last. But in all in a marine tank often gets a browny algae build up. Nothing to worry about, can still look amazing with the right fish and the right live rock growth (or coral).
  5. jwddboy

1,000 pin head crickets! HELP HELP HELP!

Sorry. i have to LOL at the genus husband. :D On a fish forum genus makes you think muchly about fish types. Ill have to look up the "husband" genus. haha. No seriously you'll be fine. I mean... some will inevitably die but it seems you've done everything right. I dont envy catching them...
  6. jwddboy

Hearty diet including... Silverfish?

no. it's not a silverfish. :P Well... there's nothing wrong with bloodworm! And im sure your fish will love bloodworm more! And they arent expensive! (£2.50 for a full blister pack...) Probably better than harvesting your not-so-yummy sink bugs. :D
  7. jwddboy

Diffuser with diy co2?

I agree but not essential unless you really require good growth rates. With good enough surface aggitation you can grow these good enough. TBH an average airstone won't get the small size of bubble you need. A wooden airstone might just cut it (they are quite quiet too) but you still will need...
  8. jwddboy

New 75 Gal Fish List

Twig cats might be a bit lost? Hatchets require a lot of surface space so plants shouldn't be floating. Apart from that - sounds good!
  9. jwddboy

Getting rid of hair algae by blacking out?

This will work for hair algae. Do not uncover, do not feed tank for a min of a week and it shoulod all clear up. If it doesn't, feed and then leave for another week. Your filter should handle the dead algae, if there is a LOT of it, you will need a water change right away (with a filter cleanout...
  10. jwddboy

Diffuser with diy co2?

There is no need for this to be near a powerhead. The CO2 diffused will penetrate to the whole aquarium with a little water movement. These are not to be used if you dont understand your ferts yet as they will lead to algae for the inexperienced user. Surface aggitation is a good idea in any...
  11. jwddboy

Hearty diet including... Silverfish?

Can't think they have a high nutrition value... And you cant be 100% on them not carrying any disease. Also very hard to catch!! If you catch any using a bait system I'd say dont use them as they may be contaminated by the bait? Probably not the best idea on the whole, but there's only one way...
  12. jwddboy

Can you hook up a canister filter to more than one tank?

Agreed. boojumsnark25 - You would to connect the overflow from one tank to the next tank. And I would reccomend you create a pipe that takes water from the bottom of your aquarium for the overflows so as to create some movement and a good change of water per hour. othewise, yes this would...
  13. jwddboy

Cory suction

It depends on your substrate. If you use sand it is likley that they eat down to a larger depth, whereas in gravel they are more likley to skim the top, only venturing further if very hungry. To be honest you should never really have food that is down at the bottom long enough for it to work its...
  14. jwddboy

Can you hook up a canister filter to more than one tank?

yes! The most usual way is to drill the tanks to create what is known as an overflow. When there is a higher leven of water in the top tank, it flows through the overflow (much like in a toilet cistern) through a pipe and into the tank below. This can continue down through all of the tanks and...
  15. jwddboy

any idea what this is

Looks like it could be a badly bred yellow lab, a young male m. lombardoi, or a Maylandia estherae/Yellow lab hybrid. Large looking eye though.
  16. jwddboy

Sale: Channa Ornatipinnis - Rare - UK ONLY

I'm guessing you are USA?
  17. jwddboy

Bump. No takers at all!?
  18. jwddboy

I have the opportunity to purchace either 8, 16, 24 etc. of these stunning, newly found and newly described fish. :grinyes: They will be wild caught and so good sized already, not small and weedy. Places like Wildwoods and Ebay currently sell these fish for about £120-£160 (SEE FOR...
  19. jwddboy

algae!

Yep. I'd black out the tank... also make sure you don't even take off the blackout to feed. The fish will be totally fine as long as you don't leave it more than 7 days.
  20. jwddboy

another drift wood question

Absolutely fine. will not harm any fish. Some fish will eat it, as will some snails. If none do then your only problem is if you find it un-aesthetically pleasing to look at. The best way to get rid of it in this case would be to scrub it off and then boil the wood itself. This generally...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store