DIY CO2 newbie support group

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Here's how I wake up my little yeastie friends:

- Place 1 tsp sugar in a measuring cup
- Run hot water for a couple minutes to be sure to get the hot stuff. I don't take temp readings anymore but it is over 100 from the tap.
- Fill measuring cup with 1 cup hot water
- Stir until sugar is dissolved
- Add 1/4 tsp yeast (usually try to do this right after stirring to keep the water moving)
- Let sit for 15 minutes

That's it.

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
I have all the equipment ready to be set up for a DIY system, thats not the problem its the recipe I'm worried about...
I've read a million recipes and only done the one. I think if you are talking about a larger tank like mine it's not so much the recipe you need to worry about as the number of bottles.

As far as the recipe goes, the critical step (I think) seems to be making sure you activate the yeast first. The recipe I posted a few pages back is close to what I did the first time, though I used less yeast then, but here it is with extra info:

activate yeast:
1/4 cup hot water (105 - 115 degrees)
1/4 teaspoon sugar (for yeast activation)
3/4 teaspoon yeast

heat water to 105 degrees f, stir in sugar. Dump 3/4 teaspoon yeast into spinning mixture.

main mixture:
2 cups sugar (for main mixture)
? warm water (to fill bottle to shoulder)
1 teaspoon? baking soda

once yeast is activated, poor sugar and 2 cups water mixture into bottle. Or poor them separately and mix them in the bottle. Once that mixed, and with the water not too hot, add yeast mixture from above. Then add baking soda. Then fill the rest of the bottle with warm water, up to the bottle's shoulder (leave some space.)

That's my best guesstimate on a good procedure, and how I'll be doing it this next time.

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
Here's how I wake up my little yeastie friends:

- Place 1 tsp sugar in a measuring cup
- Run hot water for a couple minutes to be sure to get the hot stuff. I don't take temp readings anymore but it is over 100 from the tap.
- Fill measuring cup with 1 cup hot water
- Stir until sugar is dissolved
- Add 1/4 tsp yeast (usually try to do this right after stirring to keep the water moving)
- Let sit for 15 minutes

That's it.
Thanks I was hoping you'd chime in. Aside from the amount of yeast, that's what I'll be doing. Now I'm wondering though if I'm going for too much yeast. Hmmm.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
For a newbie on plant,

how does the hagen co2 natural plant system work? Is it good for a 29 gallon tank? I have been growing my plants with just light, no fertilizing and the growth is very slow.
Anyone use this?
I started out with this as well. Thought it was pretty kewl watching the bubbles work their magic through the ladder. Then you would get the "snot" build up at the ladder. Have to recharge it often. Have to clean it often. All the while reading up on CO2 and learning more and more.

Then I decided the DIY method was a much easier, cheaper and longer lasting solution.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Now I'm wondering though if I'm going for too much yeast. Hmmm.
The more yeast you use, will just cause the mix to burn up faster as they will reproduce quicker quickly consuming the sugars.

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
The more yeast you use, will just cause the mix to burn up faster as they will reproduce quicker quickly consuming the sugars.
Right, and I think since I'm doing two bottles this time instead of one I'm going to reduce that yeast amount to 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon, so the only variable I'd really be changing is the number of bottles.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
For a newbie on plant,

how does the hagen co2 natural plant system work? Is it good for a 29 gallon tank? I have been growing my plants with just light, no fertilizing and the growth is very slow.
Anyone use this?
I use it...Here take a look. 55 gal

BEFORE HAGEN CO2

ONE WEEK LATER

That ladder you see in the back is the Hagen System

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store