my 2ft 60ltr tank :) now planted and cycled! (pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bahney

AC Members
Feb 17, 2007
Hull, Yorkshire, England
i got the tank on it's own with no stand, and when looking at the Jewel stands they were expencive £50!! so i thought bugger it i can build one cheaper then that and it will be better.

so £10's worth of wood and we have a stand :) it just needed painting and finishing which a friend of the family did for me

the stand is very sturdy (too my weight ok!!) and i started the cycle.

i made some slate caves with some aquarium sealant and positioned them how i wanted them and stuck some gravel on in places to add to the effect.

it is now all planted and the cycle is complete so i am going to get a couple of sunset platties tonight and then consider my options and pick some other fish :)

what do you think?

DSCI0006.JPG IMAGE_00011.jpg IMAGE_00014.jpg IMAGE_00018.jpg P4042507.JPG P4042509.JPG

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Looks great. One thing I really like about this hobby is the degree to which people will go to overcome expence. Nice job on the stand.

Q

Bahney

AC Members
Feb 17, 2007
Hull, Yorkshire, England
funny you should say that actually :) my original plan was to get an entire tank up and running for less then £50!! seems a bit of a stretch at the time but this is how i did :)

Tank\filter\heater\hood = free :)

*my uncle gave me his old tank but it was rubbish and dident have anything with it so i would have had to buy filter/heater etc etc and it had a small crack down the side.

so i repaired the crack and sold it in the local paper for £15 :) and this tank? well it cost me £15 with the hood/lights/filter/heater!!! bargain!!

so the tank itself cost nothing

Tank/ Heater/ Filter/ Hood = £0
stand £10
new light tube £7
filter media sponges etc = £10
slate (one piece which i smashed up) £1.50
mpopui bogwood = £4.95
aquarium sealant =£0.99p
plants from a website caleld JAVA, = £20
Fresh start cycle stuff = Free (got it off a friend)

£54.44 ! !

which when all things considered i am extremly happy with :) and if i hadent gone OTT on the plants then i would have been under budget :( but it was worth it, lol

I used to keep fish years ago and recently got my own house so i had a space in the living room and had a eureka moment..i will get a tank again!! and here we are 8 weeks later, lol

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Good job! Nice driftwood!

Bahney

AC Members
Feb 17, 2007
Hull, Yorkshire, England
thanks for all the kind comments :)

any suggestions on stocking?

i am defenatly going for a bristlenose, and maybe a pair of krib's any ideas for good tank mates?

here are the first resedents i call them Ben & Jerry, they seem happy enough and have enjoyed swiming around the plants

P4052517.JPG

fish head )'>

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
looks good. I am currently adding live plants to my tanks. It is great to see other peoples successful tanks.

Bahney

AC Members
Feb 17, 2007
Hull, Yorkshire, England
went to the fish shop today and the newest residents are this very nice blue neon gourami and a very funky glass/ghost shrimp who i have named claude

nice to have some activity in the tank :) i think i will wait a few more weeks then add some more

P4062518.JPG P4062520.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store